Slow Burn George Clarke

Madison Lennon sighed as she hung up the phone, thinking back to the conversation her and her best friend had when he told her he was moving from Bristol to London.

**

"You won't forget me will you Geo?" Madison asked her best friend some childhood as they sat in the garden of her shared house. 

"Don't be silly, people commute from Bristol to London all the time we'll see each other I'll come here you can come up to London and stay with me whenever you want," George reassured his friend and at the time he believed it too. 

**

Fast forward one year and Madison could count on one hand how many times she had seen George, and three of those were in the first two months. 

George looked at his phone and contemplated calling Madison back, he could tell on the phone she sounded very upset and it was his fault. He promised her that he would be there for his birthday but he now had a Podcast show to do, he did ask for it to be rearranged but it couldn't be done it happened to be the only day that venue was free for that month. 

Madison and George first met in year four of school, her parents had moved to Bristol from Birmingham and she was placed next to him. 

**

"What's your name?" An eight year old George asked an eight year old Madison. He didn't know a lot about a lot of stuff but he thought she was the prettiest girl he had ever seen. 

"Madison, what's yours?" She asked George who screwed his face up at the Brummy accent. 

"George. You talk funny."

"No I don't you talk funny." Madison protested the two looked at each other for a moment before bursting into giggles. 

"George please don't corrupt the girl on her first day, both of you be quiet." 

**

From that day George and Madison were inseparable, they made sure they went to the same secondary school and college so when he moved to London it hurt both of them. 

"What's the matter? Rejected again on hinge?" George looked up from his phone at his flatmate Chris and shook his head. 

"Maddie. I think I've really upset her this time and I don't blame her," George sighed again feeling like the worst human in the world. 

"I keep saying you should just go and see her mate," Chris suggested sounding like a broken record. 

"When?" George but his head in his hands. 

"Do you have a show in Bristol? Just go and see her, travel up early from the previous gig." Chris didn't know why George was acting this way as far as Chris could see there was a very simple solution to this but he was able to see things logically as he wasn't clouded by emotions. 

"Bristol is the weekend after her birthday, Chris for the first time in your life I think you might have had a good idea." George gave a dig letting Chris know he was feeling better. 

It was Maddie's birthday, she opened social media and saw she was tagged in a story. She sighed as photos of her and George flooded her page memories of her past birthdays coming back. 

**

"Happy birthday!" George smiled and bought out a bunch of flowers from behind his back. 

"Aww Geo they're lovely. I've never had flowers before," Madison gushed, both her and George ignoring the laughing and giggling from the boys behind them. Madison thought that George was very brave giving her flowers in front of everyone at school. He was teased about that for weeks but people soon shut up when all of the other girls in school kept hinting to their boyfriends that they wanted flowers, George bought Madison flowers and they weren't even a couple.