The Man I Could Be

Travis didn't come straight to the corral, he pulled up to where the stock was being unloaded. He got out of his truck and went over to Rip. They must have shared a joke because Travis threw his head back and laughed—Travis had a laugh you couldn't miss.

The hands started unloading the horses. Uncle John must be horse shopping again, she thought. She wondered why but she knew her uncle, he was always making plans he told no one about. Things were going on that she didn't know about, her father might but he would never say. One thing she knew, John Dutton's main concern was always the future of the Yellowstone.

It was a treat when Travis and his hands showed up, you knew you were in for quite a show. He had the best horses and the best people in the business. You hired Travis to make you money and he always delivered.

She didn't know if he saw her, but he came over to John and started talking to him. He then directed his attention to her, letting her know she wasn't going to escape him.

"Hello Trouble! How come you're not training? You've got a horse to get ready." He looked at her, looking her up and down like he would one of his horses.

"My trainer had to go out of town, so I'm taking advantage of it. I'm taking Coronado for a long ride tomorrow, let him gallop and stretch his legs. I feel sorry for horses that are kept in stalls all the time. Dad's going to set up a paddock for him so I can turn him out for a while every day. I think it's good for him, who wants to be cooped up all the time anyway?"

She could read the unspoken answer in his eyes. "I'd like to keep you cooped up so I'd have you all to myself." He didn't need to say it. It was bad enough to have him standing there looking at her. Damn! What did this man do to her anyway?

"Are you horse shopping again, Uncle John?" He had to be. Her uncle liked to check out horses but not necessarily buy them. One day, Kayce had told her, he was going to and if he does, watch out.

She looked at the horses in the corral waiting their turn and she could see they were all stallions. She knew what would happen. Uncle John would purchase a ranch stud first, then start adding mares. Her uncle played the long game. He made plans he told no one about then would surprise them all.

"Well, let's get you on a horse," Travis told her, "I want to see how your routine is coming." She started to object but he ignored her. "Lucy," he called out to a girl with long blond braids, "Let's put this little lady on your horse and see what she can do."

The girl came over, dismounted, and handed her the reins of a pretty-looking dun. "He's a little fresh so watch out. He likes to act up to prove that he can, but once he's in the ring he's all pro."

Coralee mounted, then rode to the far end of the corral. It took no more than a squeeze of her legs and the horse was off, speeding up his pace when she asked.

She held her breath as he went into his slide, but it was long and perfect. She then went into her routine, the spins, which the horse seemed to love, backing him up, then cantering around the corral only to go into a spin again. She ended her routine by backing him up, then he halted. Perfect.

The hands, Travis's crew, Uncle John, and Travis clapped. She felt her cheeks burning with pleasure. She had made one tiny mistake and that was all; the horse had completed her routine as if he was used to doing it every day.

Lucy came over to take the reins, "Sorry," Coralee apologized. "I didn't see a graceful way out of this."

"It's okay," Lucy said and meant it, "I wanted to tell you that I think you're good. I'm looking forward to competing against you!"

Travis came over, "Well, that would have gotten you a third, or maybe a second, but you're going to have to work hard to get first place. You're a pro now and the competition is going to be stiff. This isn't 4-H you know, these people know their stuff. If you work hard you can be that good."