Getting Used to It

Coralee woke to find that she was alone in the bed. The light in the bedroom was dim because the sun had not yet come up but there was enough for her to be able to see Travis standing, dressed in jeans and a tee shirt, his hair dripping. He must have just taken a shower.

She sat up, the bedclothes falling to her waist. She shook her hair out of her eyes and said, "Travis, what are you doing? Come back to bed." She held her arm out, inviting him to come to her.

"Go back to sleep," he told her and pulled a shirt out of the closet, "I've got to get to work, I've got new horses to take care of. Why don't you spend the day with Elena and get the lay of the land? You've got unpacking to do, too. I'll see you at dinner, and maybe lunch if I can make it."

She threw the covers off and got out of bed, "Well, if you're done in the bathroom I might as well take a shower. I thought you'd spend the day with me since it's our first day home."

"Sweetheart, I've got things to take care of, otherwise I would." He paused for a moment, "Would you put on a robe, put on something? I don't need you distracting me, Coralee, I've got to get to work but I can't if you..."

"If I what? You've seen me without clothes before, why is this any different?"

He went to her and threw her over his shoulder. "I got up early because there are things I need to get done. Now, I'm going to be late and it's your fault."

He lay her on the bed, "You're trouble, you know that, but I guess I knew before I married you." He began to kiss her, "I hope I don't have to resort to Viagra to keep up with you."

"You haven't needed it so far, you do just fine as far as I'm concerned."

He laughed at this and began to make love to his young wife.

After he left, she fell asleep, holding onto his pillow so she could inhale his scent. She slept for two hours, then woke at seven feeling refreshed and happy. She got up and took a shower, then dressed in a pair of dark blue jeans and a purple tee shirt.

She went down the stairs, quietly, wanting to surprise Elena in the kitchen. Elena's presence would make her life easier, but the housekeeper was beautiful and knew Travis, having worked for him for several years. Coralee couldn't help being suspicious of her, and what was even worse, she needed her. She wasn't going to be able to do this on her own.

The housekeeper was sitting at the kitchen table, drinking a cup of coffee. "Good morning, Coralee," Elena said, "Would you like some coffee? It's fresh, I just made it. If you're hungry, I could make us breakfast, how does huevos rancheros sound?"

"That would be lovely," Coralee replied, "That's my favorite breakfast. Gator, Uncle John's cook, makes huevos rancheros to die for. He says the secret is his sauce and the freshest tortillas he can find. He and Mom sent along some recipes for me to help me with meal planning. I'm great at showing horses but I've never needed to be much of a housekeeper."

"Well," said Elena, "I put together some recipes that are Travis's favorites. They're on recipe cards and alphabetized. I'm willing to help you out with meal planning and cooking, you just have to say the word."

I bet you are, Coralee thought, and the unfortunate thing is you're right, I will need help. I can cook and clean, but I haven't had to do that much of it. Mom trained me well, but she didn't tell me how to deal with housekeepers.

Elena proved to be as good of a cook as Gemma or Gator. The eggs in the huevos rancheros were poached to perfection and the sauce was as delicious as anything Gator could have whipped up. Coralee had to admit that Elena was a good cook and she'd have to work hard to prove herself.