The Golden Nugget

"Are you coming?" asked Travis and she took the hand he offered and let him pull her into the cab. "Take us to the Golden Nugget," he told the driver then pulled her onto his lap and began to kiss her.

"Travis, don't," she objected when she felt one of his hands start to knead her thigh. She felt self-conscious and exposed, knowing that the driver might be able to see what was going on.

Travis laughed, "This is Vegas, baby, they've seen it all," but he removed his hand until they got out of the cab.

The Golden Nugget was built in 1946 and was one of the original hotel casinos in Las Vegas, and one of the few original to still stand. Coralee looked around in wonder, wanting to get a drink and head to one of the gaming tables.

"Come on, she insisted, "Let's hit the gaming tables, this place is fantastic!"

Travis shook his head, "I want to check my messages and then go upstairs. It's been a long day and I'm tired. You can always come back, the Nugget isn't going anywhere."

She tried to contain her impatience as she stood next to him at the registration desk while he checked his messages. She looked around wistfully, wishing they could head into the casino, even for only a little while. She had almost made up her mind to ask him again when she saw three women standing by the elevators, staring hard at Travis. She wondered what they were doing when she saw them starting to head in their direction.

He turned around and saw them too. "Oh shit," he muttered under his breath.

"Travis!" a leggy blond called out his name while her two companions followed. "I didn't know that you were going to be in Vegas."

"Hello Regina, Sally, CeeZee," he said, and Coralee thought he sounded resigned and a little weary.

"Oh, and who do we have here?" said Regina, turning her attention to Coralee, a false smile pasted on her face.

She was about to answer when Travis squeezed her shoulder, hard. "This is Coralee Dutton, my fiancée," he answered.

"She's a pretty thing, Travis," Regina spoke as if she weren't there, "and oh, are you related to John Dutton?" she asked, and Coralee wondered just how many were aware of her uncle and his ranch.

To answer, she summoned her best Beth. With the sweetest and iciest tones she could muster, she replied, "Yes, I am. John Dutton is my uncle, I practically grew up on the Yellowstone. That's where I met Travis, I've known him for years." Take that you bitch, she thought but wondered if she'd given the right answer.

She must have, for Travis's grip on her shoulder relaxed. She looked at the women, wondering if they represented the type of women he had been attracted to in the past. She was nothing like them, no heavy makeup, and false eyelashes for her; she was a natural blond, Regina's dark roots were showing.

"Well, goodnight, ladies, it's been a long day and I'm tired, nice seeing you again," Travis gave them the bright, toothy smile that he reserved for people he wanted to get away from.

Thankfully the elevator doors opened, and he hurried Coralee in. He punched his floor number, then turned to her saying, "I'm sorry about that, I must admit I wasn't ready for it."

"Well, at least your taste in women has improved, I'm no bottle blond with dark roots."

"Oh, so you think I haven't had fresh-faced country girls before?" There was an edge to his voice as he said it.

"Oh, and you think I haven't fucked cocksure cowboys before? I was a barrel racer, remember?" Take that, she thought.

Fortunately, the bell for their floor rang and they left the elevator, neither sure if they should be mad at the other. He slid his room key through the card reader, and they entered the most beautiful hotel room Coralee had ever seen.