Chapter 2

Livia had always been acting like a good wife. For some years, Snow could barely believe that she was the same haughty woman he knew back in school. She was pretty, discreet, and quiet. Snow didn't like talking to her because she was also kind of disgusting, not the smartest; she always looked kind of desperate. Thankfully, her marital duties didn't include talking—only standing by his side during public appearances and giving him children. He tried to sleep by her side by sharing a bed for the first few months, but it was not comfortable; he felt invaded in some ways, felt she could be dangerous.

Livia would show up to his bedroom as he asked and only when he asked. They had been married for five years now. Those were happy years; Panem was in peace, and so was their home.

She got pregnant seven times; all the fetuses died in the early few weeks. She felt devastated. She invited her mother to be with them during all those nights. Snow felt sad, but he knew these sorts of things could happen to anyone. So he didn't have high hopes when she announced that she was pregnant with Crassus. But Crassus was a strong boy and finally gave his father an heir. Crassus was perfect in every single way, and Snow loved him the most, more than anything. Crassus was as white as his family name; he had blond hair and deep blue eyes—the complete appearance of a Snow.

Now, he's two weeks old, and he cries a lot, never stopping. Livia is not a good mother, and she stopped being a good wife some time ago. The pregnancy was not easy on her; she was always demanding to see her parents and her friends, making it uncomfortable. He politely asked her to stop putting all those people inside their home. Of course, she didn't understand. That house was the heart of Panem; he had work to be done there. The country's problems were really not interested in her pregnancy whims. This time, she obeyed.

She almost died giving birth to Crassus, and Snow really wishes she did. As always, she refused to do what he wanted; once again, she was useless. Nothing too personal, but some time ago, during the pregnancy, she started talking to the avoxes. It started with small talk, asking them about the weather, if they were feeling well. Of course, she never got a response. Snow knew about every step, word, or breath of Livia. It didn't seem like something to worry about, more to be pitiful about, until she confessed to one of the avoxes what she felt about him.

"I feel so alone. I wish Coriolanus would give us some more attention." It was naive of her to think that he wouldn't listen to these conversations, or did she want him to hear it?

The avox didn't move, but it was listening, of course it was.

"He was my high school sweetheart. Or almost that," she took a deep breath. "When we were in school, we were mentors to the games together. He was in my class since we were babies." She stopped for a minute, thinking, her eyes distant. "Every girl fell for him, even some boys. I'm pretty sure that Plinth boy had a crush on him too." She smiled at this memory. "His heart was tough; he was very focused, liked studying, and wanted to be the smartest, always." As she kept speaking, her facial expression faded into sorrow. The avox now inclined its head to show her it was listening. "I explained a poem to him once. I felt so clever being able to understand something that Coriolanus Snow didn't.

The avox didn't show any other reaction, but Livia seemed very touched by the memories she was sharing.

"I saw him kissing a girl once, maybe you remember her, the one who won the games when we mentored, the one he mentored, Lucy something. He seduced the poor thing so she would do anything to win the games, now I see. I got so jealous. Why would he choose a girl from districts over me? It happened the night before the games; they cried. We all got attached to our tributes, but they were the only ones crying. Then he kissed her. She won, and then got back to her district. That was kind of mean, how he used her. Maybe she didn't even realize it; she came out alive. When he confessed his love to me, I thought I had won, that I was, obviously, better than that dirty girl, but he put a wall to District Twelve's edge as soon as he became president. Maybe he had just destroyed her life... like he destroyed mine."

At this point, Snow could see a single tear rolling down Livia's face. How could she not notice the cameras? They were everywhere; she was too dangerous not to monitor. Then, she continued:

"I loved him. When we were in university, he said he loved me, that he had always loved me. He was a sweet boyfriend, used to come to my house and talk to my father like they were old friends. Now he forbids me from even seeing my parents." Livia was crying; it was so pathetic that she remembered all those things. She was truly pitiful, truly delusional. "The day of our wedding, he sent me roses, white roses, grown by himself. It was so special. Everything he used to do was so special. And then, some months later, he said he couldn't stand even sleeping by my side." She could barely speak; her words were soaked by tears. "How could I be so delusional to think he could be sweet again? He left me alone with the notice of every single child we lost, and now I'm so afraid of losing this one, and he would never show up to check on us." She took a deep breath. "I'm sorry about telling you all of these things. It's clear that you have bigger problems, but I'm so alone. I can't live like this anymore."

The avox sat down on the same couch where she was, and it hugged her. It was a truly disgusting scene. Then the avox gave her a piece of paper; it was impossible to read what was written there. Livia read and showed a surprised expression. That was it; she couldn't live anymore. Snow must do something to save Panem from his wife.