Chapter 5

When there was only one hour left to Panem, Indila took a long shower. She hadn't even known that taking a shower in a plane was possible. She wished she could tell her mom about it; everything looked so fancy and expensive, even for her.

She had chosen the dress a few days ago, a black one. Almost all of her dresses were black anyways. She liked dark shades of blue and red as well. She would describe her style as classic, no patterns, just solid dark colors, and dresses. She loved dresses. So she chose the black summer dress and black sandals. It was hot, right? It should be summer in Panem.

She brushed her hair and applied some makeup, not too much; she wanted to look natural. She felt silly worrying about these things. It's not like it would actually change something, but a good first impression mattered, correct? Maybe it was all her brain's tool to cope with anxiety. She wished she wouldn't think about or care so much about what this president would think of her. However, she was still just a girl, and at that moment, she really felt like a little girl—so afraid, so small, lacking control over her own life, thoughts, or feelings.

Just one last detail, a black ribbon for her hair. She liked her hair that way, with a half ponytail; it made her look more girly, especially since she was all in black.

Once she got back to her seat, Julliard complimented her, "You look gorgeous, Miss Trastámara." "Thank you," she answered in a very low voice, making it obvious that she was nervous. Julliard tried to help her: "He's very sweet, you know, has a big heart." Indila understood he was talking about the president and felt a little more uncomfortable. "It's okay to be nervous now, but I'm pretty sure that once you talk, you are going to like him; he is a good man." Julliard took a quick look side to side and added, "And with your allowance, Miss Trastámara, he's also kind of hot," winking with a smile. That information came out of nowhere; it wasn't what Indila was expecting, which led to an honest and shy laugh. She liked Julliard; she felt he could be a good friend. "Thank you, Julliard. It was very sweet of you to try to calm me down." "Anytime, Miss. That's okay."

The plane landed, and then they spent some more time in the car. "Welcome to the Capitol," Julliard said, "your new home." The Capitol was enormous, with many cars and people. Some were dressed normally, but others were more in Julliard's style. They surely lived way better than people back home, Indila thought; he must be a good president after all.

"Now, we are entering the Circle," Julliard explained. "It's where the president lives with his family and works. He takes the hard decisions here. Actually, he spends most of his time here; it's very complete. There is leisure and sports, his main office, and the meeting rooms. When someone needs to talk to him, they usually come here. I am responsible for all that concerns the house."

"I got it, so I am part of the house?" Indila tried to be funny, and it was worth it. Julliard giggled, "The house and the fiancée, better now?" Indila nodded.

In the middle of the garden, there was a greenhouse that caught Indila's attention. It was filled with white flowers. Julliard noticed her curiosity, "Those are Snow's roses. The president inherited them from his grandmother. He takes care of the flowers himself; he's such a morning person." That must be a green flag. What kind of guy wakes up early to grow roses? How could he be a bad person in any way? "That really sounds like something someone sweet would do," Indila admitted. "I told you, there is nothing to be nervous about. Well, let's get in, shall we?"

Julliard said he was responsible for the house. Indila took a deep look and could only think: what house? That was a mansion, a palace; it was huge. Everything looked so enormous and clean, and white; there were surely many people working inside there. "So, follow me to his office. He's actually on his 20-day summer break, but we are just not able to stop him from working." They went up the stairs. Everything inside the house was also white with lots of white roses everywhere; things didn't seem real in there; it was all too perfect. People working there wore a gray tunic, and the mansion was quiet, very quiet.

Julliard stopped by a door, "Are you ready?" he asked. Indila took a deep breath, "I guess I'll never be, so..." "You're funny, Miss Trastámara. I like your humor." Julliard knocked, and a soft but firm voice told him to come in. "Mr. President, good afternoon. I came here to present you Princess Indila of the House of Trastámara."

Her heart stopped for a minute. Indila would always remember that moment, taking it and more to her grave—the truly remarkable time when she first laid her eyes on Coriolanus Snow.