Chapter 4

It was all set. Livia was no longer a problem; for all intents and purposes, she was dead. They had a funeral, and Panem grieved for her. Crassus was okay; he loved the new nanny, and Snow made sure he would spend every single available moment with him. What a tragedy that all of this had happened so close to the Hunger Games.

When Snow announced the 20th edition of the Games, he should have looked mournful, like someone who lost his lovely wedded wife a month ago. But he wasn't; he was happier than ever. He had his son, healthy and alive, and another great and successful edition of the Games was coming. In the ten years since his first Hunger Games working as a mentor, many things had changed. Dr. Gaul retired some years ago; he was the official game maker for five editions but had to stop because he became the president and made sure that there were good people involved with the task.

He was really busy with the Games for the next two months—announcements, preparations, the Games themselves, the balls for the victors—a lot of work. It was not the best time to bring Indila to Panem, but once it was all over, she should come.

When Indila arrives, she would need attention. He wanted to teach her about all Panem life by himself, and the days off after the Games would be perfect for that. He settled the date, made some calls, and it was decided—his fiancée was coming right after the Games frenzy to meet him, to meet Panem, and also Crassus.

Well, the Games were now over, successful as always; a boy from District 2 was the victor. Travis was a perfect victor; people started calling him 'Bloody Travis' for killing 16 tributes. This year's Games were the longest recorded Games in the entire history, lasting 31 days. Now, all the madness and work were done, and tomorrow would be an important day for him and little Crassus.

Five o'clock, it's Crassus time.

Snow left the office and ran for the baby. Crassus was three months old now, and Snow loved spending time with him. He hoped Crassus was still awake. Usually, by that time, the nanny gives him a bath, and Snow gets right on time to give him a bottle and watch him fall asleep. He was such a sweet baby, so different from Livia. Two weeks ago, he started smiling and trying to talk. When Snow spoke to him, he recognized his voice and babbled back in that language only babies know.

And there was him, Crassus, with wet hair and blushed from the bath. "Hello, little one, dad is here." Crassus opened a big smile and extended his arms to his father. Once Snow held him, he got calm, his lips found the bottle, and his eyes slowly closed. He loved watching Crassus falling asleep; he meant everything. Crassus was Snow's empire, his legacy to the world. He imagined the sweet expression of Crassus in a strong man, like his father, from whom he got the name. He imagined him ruling Panem as Snow did now. Crassus was now sleeping deeply; Snow put him in his cradle and thought he should put some white roses in Crassus's room—that means perfection, just like his son. He felt so proud of his boy. Before closing the door, he whispered, "Sleep well, little one. Tomorrow, we are meeting your new mom."