Young Crassus

Tomorrow would be the reaping day, and Indila never thought she would be so happy about it. This year had an added bonus – her son would be coming home for the Games. While not all peacekeepers in Panem got holidays, being the president's oldest child certainly gave Crassus some advantages.

Indila wasn't thrilled about the career path Crassus had chosen. He had been away from home for months since graduating from the Academy, stationed in the dangerous District 2. She spent her days worrying about how her son was faring in the outside world. Coriolanus tried to reassure her repeatedly: "Dila, it's okay, it's not a big deal. I was a peacekeeper myself. He's just a boy trying things out." She grew frustrated, responding, "You are no benchmark, Coriolanus. I don't feel comfortable at all about military life."

Coriolanus would never lose his temper with her, but he couldn't deny his pride in Crassus choosing to serve the country. He would emphasize that at every opportunity. "Darling, it's an honor. He's safe, everyone knows he's our son. My father was in the military too; he understood. He just wants to serve our country well. It's an era of peace." That statement sent a shiver down Indila's spine. "I never got the chance to meet your father. Wonder why." They had this argument repeatedly with some variations. Coriolanus, after all, had a point. This was the life Crassus had chosen for himself, and it was not up to Indila to decide. Though she didn't feel any more comfortable, she would still send him letters every week.

Indila could hear Crassus' voice, accompanied by the running steps of Incipium in eagerness to meet his older brother. Indila arrived just in time to witness Incipium jump into his brother's arms; they played together as if they were the exact same age. Elana was also there, offering her brother a warm welcome hug. The three of them genuinely loved each other, and Indila felt an overwhelming sense of pride. They chatted in excitement until Crassus noticed her approaching.

"Hey, Mom!" he exclaimed, leaving the siblings behind to envelop Indila in a big hug. Indila couldn't shake the feeling that he had grown taller; he definitely inherited Coriolanus's genetics. Coriolanus joined them to welcome his firstborn. "Hello, son. How have you been?" They embraced, and Indila could tell that Coriolanus missed him too. He had always been very connected to their children.

"I like the beard, old man. It really suits you," Crassus remarked. Indila agreed; she liked the beard too. After some words exchanged, they all had the chance to have lunch together, as a family. Indila couldn't put into words how happy she was seeing their children talking and laughing after so much time without her beloved Crassus. Everyone missed him, but she was certain that she missed him the most.

As Elana and Incipium needed to get back to school, and Coriolanus returned to work, Indila seized the opportunity to have a private conversation with her son. She was very curious about everything. Crassus didn't seem to have much time to respond to her letters, always providing superficial details. They talked for hours, and Crassus shared everything. He was very busy, undergoing hard training, and the officials genuinely believed he could have a brilliant military career. Indila felt her heart break with this information. However, it was not the worst part.

"Mom, there's one thing I want to tell you, but I don't want you to tell Dad yet." Crassus, who was very close to his father, left Indila wondering what this could be. "Sure, honey, you know you can trust me," she assured him, holding his hand.

"There's this girl..." Crassus began. Indila looked at her son and saw the sweet baby she had once held, the one who smiled at her the very first time he saw her face. He was not a baby anymore; he was a handsome young man capable of making his own decisions. Of course, there would be a girl. Crassus proceeded to tell her everything about her, how sweet she was, how they had met, and his plans to talk to her father about marrying her. He expressed his fear, as her father held a higher position in the military. It was young love, and it was beautiful to hear.