words

Night opens up a portal, the familiar sight of Underswap showing on the other side. Cross hesitates, simply just staring for a second, before reaching out and holding Night's hand. It's just a comfort thing, he tells himself, to calm any anxiety. Light touches were an easy remedy for uneasy feelings, especially with someone you're comfortable with.

"Are you ready?" he asks Cross with a smile, holding tight onto his hand.

"Uh- yeah," Cross answers after a short minute, taking a half step forward, "yeah. Let's go."

He steps into the portal first, standing on the other side and facing Cross, all while still holding the other's hand. Cross is once again hesitant, Night can feel fear coming from him, and does a very small tug on his arm, "I promise you'll be okay," he assures, leaning the teensiest bit forward, "We purposefully made sure near nothing could go wrong."

Cross nods, "Okay," he breathes as Night only waits, "Okay, I trust you."

He steps through the portal, halfway expecting something to go very wrong but also wholeheartedly trusting Night like his life depends on it. When he's all the way through the portal, Cross turns around, the emptiness of Xtale a painful contrast with Underswap.

They both stare blankly through the portal for a second, Night waiting for Cross to say or do something because his emotions are all blurred together and Night is unsure of what to do.

"It's so... white." Cross says pointlessly, Night nodding, "That it is, yes. Very much so."

Cross chuckles slightly, a snicker as he holds onto Night's hand harder, then doubles over in a fit of laughter. Laughter that is so very contagious as Night holds back his own. He lets out a couple of very small huffs, before kneeling to Cross' level, "Uh, Cross? Are you... okay?" He asks, a little confused by the hysterics.

He feels the urge to take some steps backward as excitement very quickly grows tenfold inside of Cross, but he doesn't move. At least until Cross leaps onto him with a hug, throwing them both on the grass below. The metaphorical air is knocked straight out of him when his back hits the ground, Cross praising him as he cuddles into his chest.

"I love you so much, thank you, thank you, Night," he repeats, Night freezing up. Cross keeps talking, laughing between some words but Night can't bring himself to listen. He said the words. He said the three words.

"Oh, I could hold you here like this all day if you let me," and Night snaps back into reality and out of his head, magic coursing between them. Night can feel warmth radiating from Cross' soul, a swell of positivity that makes him want to cry. It's working.

"Oh well," he huffs a breath as he looks at Cross, hands firmly held onto his shoulders, "we have plans for- uh- for today..."

Night feels like he's short-circuiting, body buffering, and head foggy. Cross has the side of his skull pressed against his chest, tucked right there under his face, arms held flush against his back. He's so, so desperately close and Night can feel his bones awkwardly fitting against his own, "maybe another time," he mutters, laying back down and looking up at the sky.

Maybe in Outertale, even. It was high noon now, Night and Blue planned on showing Cross around town and introducing him to some of the locals. Then, later on, they would head up Mt. Ebbot, and Night would show Cross the sunset. It would be beautiful, and so perfect. Night simply cannot wait as his own excitement grows, Cross is going to love it.

"Then can I hold you here for just a little bit?" Cross asks with a sigh, calmness encasing the both of them. Blue was not here, which he was supposed to be. He'll probably show up out of nowhere in the next few minutes, so Night decides not to worry about it at all, "Sure thing," he returns the cuddle, "just for a bit."