CHAPTER ONE

RYAN

''Stop glaring at me like that!'' says Taylor, uncomfortable under my gaze as I continue shooting daggers, making my annoyance very clear.

It's a Thursday night. I've got a shit ton of work to do but what am I doing? I'm sitting across the city's two resident Romeos' as they boast about their latest conquests like it's some kind of competition. And then my third friend beside me has his eyes glued to his phone, clearly answering work emails.

I know I'm being a wet blanket as I see my friends making small talk and taking jabs at each other, laughing without a care in the world.

I accept my fate and try to settle in the congested booth we four have settled in for the evening and take in my surroundings. Soft jazz music plays in the background of the intimate, dimly lit restaurant. The space is filled with booths attached to walls, wooden tables, and mismatched chairs. Warm, amber lighting casts a gentle glow over the patrons who sit, chat, and laugh. A few whines, cries, and giggles can be heard from kids as they chase each other around the space.

There's a savory undercurrent in the air, with the aroma of roasted meats, herbs, and spices mingling together. It's a tantalizing scent that makes your mouth water, promising a delicious meal ahead. A warm and welcoming atmosphere envelopes the room.

In the heart of Queens, amidst the eclectic bustle of the borough, tucked away from the skyscrapers of Manhattan, Haven. It's no upscale Micheline restaurant but is a hot spot bustling with people coming and going. And just like its name, it provides refuge, away from the hustle of our lives.

Taylor sits across me with Liam to his right, while Noah sits to my right. We've got beer on our table and just ordered our food. And I continue to send faux glares at Taylor, just enjoying watching him squirm in his seat.

''Oh, come on man! You were going to rot in there, under the piles of all those papers if we didn't come to get you. Let loose!'' Taylor exclaims, finally having had enough of my glower.

''Don't even say we, I still have emails to reply and I'm here sitting in front of you, while you gawk at every girl that comes in,'' Noah grumbles, still focused on his phone screen.

Liam sits there nonchalantly, chuckling at the sight of me moving in my seat, trying to get comfortable. This booth is not the ideal spot to sit for four grown-ass men.

I pick up my bottle to take a swig as Liam speaks up to defend Taylor. ''The last time we saw each other was at that charity gala two weeks ago surrounded by snobs. Definitely not my favorite spot to catch up with friends. Cut him some slack, alright?''

Taylor leans towards Liam, wrapping his arm around Liam's neck, and exclaims '' See! He gets my point.''

''To most people, we are one of those snobs,'' I tell him as I lean back in my seat. Liam expression contorts as if I spat on his face.

''Oh please, I'm nothing like those conceited assholes.'' He tells me clearly offended. I know he's not but can't miss out on a chance to mess with him.

''Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night.'' I tip my bottle towards him and bring the bottle back to my mouth, trying to hide my smile while he looks like he's ready for a fistfight.

''Aren't you talkative for a person who was just brooding about not being in his office.'' Liam mocks me. I shrug and pick up my tablet.

Good thing I picked it up before they literally dragged me out of my office. I focus my gaze on the screen and scroll through files.

''Where'd you pull that out from?'' Taylor exclaims as if I just performed a magic trick.

''His ass,'' Noah answers, his eyes still glued to his screen. As if he's one to talk.