CHAPTER FIVE

CHARLOTTE

You know those days when you just want the day to be done already? Yeah, I'm having that day. My state of mind is absolutely crap after that nightmare of a dream. I kept myself composed in front of Levi and Luna. But I miss Mom. I miss her so much that it physically hurts. It's been six years. Six years since I've had to say goodbye to her. Goodbye, forever.

But I can't wallow in despair. Not then. Not now.

So, I do the next best thing. Divert my attention.

And today I've had the perfect distraction. A pain in the ass and not a very welcome ditraction. But distraction nonetheless.

An ''Opening for the first-time/review'' video on our latest products made by a Youtuber and according to her review, the products were of extremely poor quality and were severely damaged when they arrived. She also took it to her Twitter to bash us, causing a storm.

'Éclaté' will complete its fifth year in a few months but in the bustling landscape of skincare, our start-up has emerged as a beacon of innovation and trust. Born from a passion for skin health and a commitment to quality, our company is rewriting the narrative of beauty and self-care. From meticulously curated ingredients to cutting-edge formulations, every product is a testament to our dedication to excellence. What sets us apart is not just the science behind our skincare, but the relationships we build with our cherished customers. Their trust is the cornerstone of our success.

And this person who doesn't even dare show their face dares to say such crap about us. People who don't know anything about us and don't seem to have anything better to do- have become keyboard warriors, writing all sorts of insults.

It's infuriating and adding fuel to the fire of my shit mood. I scroll through her Instagram ID, hoping to find a single clue about who the hell she really is.

I've already sent emails and DMS, asking if her purpose is to extort money through this hypocritical and brazen act.

Of course, I wrote them in a more professional tone. But it's been hours and she's not replying. If this is her idea of getting me more desperate and offering more money, she's mistaken.

A knock on the door pulls my focus off of my computer screen. And before words can escape my mouth, the person barges in.

''How could you not tell me about this?'' he asks pointing to the screen of his phone displaying the slandering tweet.

''You're supposed to be in class, at school,'' I tell him.

Daniel. Our in-house tech guy. Also, the youngest member of our office.

''Fuck that. Look how bad it's gotten.'' He glowers at me.

''Language.'' I give him a stern look.

I continue when he doesn't say anything. ''It's nothing I can't handle. So, take your ass back to where it's supposed to be.''

''But I can find-''

''No. You are not going to be hacking into anything.'' I cut him off. Did I mention he's the infamous hacker Phantom?

And why he's practically throwing his services in my face for free? Because he is my cousin.

''Come on, pleaseeee.'' I close my eyes messaging my temples. He may be an adult but he's as much of my responsibility as Levi and Luna.

''Just the basic information. I swear.''

This boy could literally hack into her computer and phone's camera and keep track of the most minute details. And of course, I've made him swear on his life not to pull shit like that.