CHAPTER SIX

RYAN

I hear a knock on the door and see Mark entering as I raise my head from the pile of papers on my desk.

''Your 2 o'clock will be arriving soon.'' He informs me. ''Do you need anything before I head to the finance department to get the reports you asked for?'' he continues.

''No, just bring them in when they get here,'' I tell him. He gives a nod and leaves.

It's already time for my next meeting. Who was it with?

Shit. I should've asked. I start shuffling on the desk looking for my schedule he prints out for me every day. It's easier to just pick up the paper than scrolling through my tablet or phone.

I hear the door open. ''Oh good, you're here. Who- ''

I'm cut off by a squeal of joy. The fuck? That's not Mark.

''You were waiting for me?'' I hear the familiar voice. Shit.

I look up and see Elsie strutting towards me.

''Did Samantha tell you? Must've been her!'' I get confused with every word coming out of her mouth. No, my sister didn't tell me shit. Considering the last time, she called me was a month ago just to hint at what she wanted for her birthday.

''How did you get up here?'' I ask agitated. She's not supposed to get past reception let alone be in my office.

''Oh, Sammy pulled a few strings and got me in.'' She says nonchalantly as she moves around my desk.

Well, that gives me a reason to ban our dear Sammy from even being in the vicinity of this building.

Samantha has already been using her name to be a menace is this office but she's burnt the bridge by this trick of her.

''I missed you so much.'' She says sitting on the edge of my desk leaning in. ''You haven't called or texted. So, I thought I'd visit you myself.'' She continues placing a hand on my shoulder, leaning in.

Am I missing out on something?

''I know you were worried about what Samantha would think. But she gave us her blessings.'' The fuck?

''What the hell are you talking about,'' I grit out. Is she high on something?

What blessings?

''Didn't you miss me?'' Her other hand finds its way over my jaw as She leans in to kiss me. I move my face to the side and try to dodge but end up with her lips on my cheek. The atmosphere feels suffocating under the weight of her flirtatious advances. I firmly grab the wrist resting against my jaw and swiftly remove it, unwilling to engage in whatever game she's attempting to play.

Without missing a beat, she moves to the shell of my ear and grazes her teeth lightly. ''Didn't you miss this?''

Her words ooze with an overplayed charm that grates on my nerves. She goes lower, peppering light kisses down my neck.

Alright, that's enough. If this is her attempt at seduction, then it's not having the desired effect. This isn't arousing; it's simply aggravating.

Just before I can seize the opportunity to distance myself from her and tell her to fuck off, the sound of a knock resonates through the room.

My head snaps in the direction of the sound, and I curse inwardly as just a second later, my assistant walks in, trailing someone behind him. Mark freezes, unsure of how to proceed, as the person emerges from his shadow.

Air rushes out of my lungs as if I've been sucker punched in the guts. Everything stops. My heart, literally beating in my throat.

It's her.