62. Keechak!

Few months passed by with relative peace, yet the family of 12 in hiding could feel something was coming. Something sinister was lurking in the shadows.

The 13th year was nearing its end, in a month. In Hastinapur, Duryodhan was getting very furious as he continued to fail in finding the brothers and their wives. Spies have been sent everywhere, yet not a word, a whisper of their identity. Duryodhan couldn't even hold one of his cousin's children hostage to get them to come out. The children were in Dwarka; it would be foolish to attack where Krishna resides! Duryodhan's patience was dwindling at a rapid rate.

On the other hand, in the Palace of Matsya Desh, everything was going well, except one thing - the commander of the army and the brother-in-law of King Virata, Keechak. Keechak had seen the faces of both Draupadi and Devanshi once, completely by mistake. From there on, he had started to harass the females very badly. Of course, he dared not touch them, for when he had once tried to hold Devanshi's hand, she had thrown a dagger straight at him, making him duck, narrowly escaping with his life. Arjun as Brihannala was also present at that time and had threatened Keechak subtly to keep his mouth shut.

Fed up with his behavior even upon multiple rejections, leaving Draupadi with Arjun, Devanshi sneaked into the Kitchen of the palace, where coincidentally, Yuddhisthir was also present. No one was in the Kitchen, other than them.

"Divyani?" spoke Yuddhisthir, a bit shocked, at seeing his wife here.

"Pranipat Bhabhishree," greeted Bhima, with a smile. Devanshi simply smiled in response.

"I apologize for interrupting, Arya, bhrata! I have something to ask," stated Devanshi, softly, very aware of any extra ears present.

"Speak freely Divyani, no one is here," said Yuddhisthir, softly. He called her by her second name Divyani, in case, since they were in hiding. No one knew her second name after all.

"He is troubling us again. Will you reprimand him, Arya?" replied Devanshi, knowing there were two people listening in, though they were maids. Instead of naming the person, she spoke in a vague manner, and 'reprimand' was a code for either 'deal' or 'kill'. Either way, Devanshi did not care if that Keechak died, as long as he was punished.

"Of course," said Bheem, immediately. Yuddhisthir frowned, before nodding as well. The eavesdropping maids left, obviously thinking that the wife of the entertainer was here to complain about their child troubling her.

"We cannot use weapons," said Yuddhisthir, eyes looking at Bheem.

"I won't need it," answered Bheem, softly, eyes burning with righteous fire.

"Alright, make sure no one knows it's you. We do have to stay hidden for this month," said Yuddhisthir, making Bheem nod.

"Does Jyesht and Bhabhishree know, Arya?" asked Devanshi, softly.

"Yes. Jyesht said that if Keechak misbehaves again, we can simply finish him off," answered Yuddhisthir, his voice sounding annoyed as he took Keechak's name.

"Brihannala and Sairandhri will be happy," said Devanshi, a smug glint in her eyes.

_______________________________________

That very evening, Bheem sent a letter to Keechak, which told him to come to the common room of the palace at night. Then, he liberally sprinkled the perfume that Devanshi used on the letter.

Keechak, thinking that he would spend the night very happily in the company of the most beautiful female he had ever seen, went to the appointed time in the palace. Bheem was waiting for him inside the room, wrapped in a saree. His bare hands were weapons of destruction, while he used the saree as a muffle gag for Keechak's mouth, ensuring no one in the palace could hear the painful scream of Keechak.

That night, no one found out what happened. When they found out, it was too late.

________________________________________

"Maharaja!!!" yelled a soldier as he ran into the ongoing court. Yuddhisthir watched the proceedings, already aware of the news. His brother had informed him already. Arjun had also been informed, and he, in turn, informed Draupadi. Arjun would keep Princess Uttara, his dance student, and Prince Uttar, her brother, away from the common hall. Draupadi would also keep Maharani Sudeshna away from there.

It had been Advika's idea to ensure that the body and the scene were discovered as late as possible. This would create confusion and fear, allowing them to remain under the radar.

"What happened?" asked Virata irritably, a bit shocked at such poor decorum.

"Commander Keechak has been found dead in the common hall. Maharaja, the scene is ghastly! His thighs have been ripped open, and blood is spattered all over. No weapons have been found anywhere on him. No marks of any weapons on him either," stated the soldier, a bit panicked. Maharaja got up, prompting everyone else to get up as well.

"How is that possible? Bring the blacksmith! I must know if anyone has bought any weapons from him," ordered Virata.

Karna, dressed as the royal blacksmith, arrived.

"You called Maharaja?"

"Yes! Has anyone bought any weapons from you, other than what you supplied us with?" asked Virata.

"No, Maharaja!" answered Karna.

"Is there any kind of weapon that can tear thighs open without leaving any mark?" asked Virata, now getting worried.

"No, Maharaja. All weapons, whether blunt or sharp, leave a mark," answered Karna.

"I see. You may go!" dismissed Virata.

Every single one of them missed the slight smirk on the court's entertainer's face or the subtle glint in the blacksmith's eyes.

_______________________________________

" The thigh was torn open by two hands, Maharaja," stated the Royal physician. This single statement had spread fear and awe in the minds of every person in the Kingdom, just as Advika had predicted. The news spread swiftly.

Karna, Advika, and Vandita were waiting for the others to arrive soon in their spot.

" I believe Hastinapur will get to know very soon!" said Advika softly.
" That's a given, Bhabhishree," murmured Vandita, a vindictive smile on her face.
" Wait, was it Bharta Bheem?" asked a new voice.
They turned to find Nakul, Kalyani, Sahadev, and Vritika already there.
" Yes," answered Vandita softly.
" Good riddance!" replied Kalyani, making all of them chuckle.
" Aren't Bharta Yuddhisthir, Bharta Arjun, Draupadi, and Devanshi Bhabhishrees coming?" asked Sahadev.

" No. The palace is under strict monitoring. It would be better if they stayed away for now," answered Karna.
" Okay! What should we do now?" asked Vritika, nodding.
" I suggest we capture any spy we come across, especially from Hastinapur. The news should reach Hastinapur as late as possible," answered Advika, her eyes calculative.
" Indeed, because Pitamaha will immediately know that it was Bharta Bheem who killed Keechak! Only one person can give such a death with his bare hands after all," stated Sahadev. Just a few days!

They have to endure a few more days before they can close this chapter!