001

The sounds of impatient phone calls and excited, screaming kids flooding the sidewalk as Y/N walked up to the glass double-doors. "Excuse me," she said, stepping around an annoyed mother surrounded by children obviously not her own. Y/N tried the door handle. "Locked," she thought. She knocked lightly and heard a click, a hand pulling her in as quickly as the door opened. She had no time to process what had happened before she was rushed in, the door shutting behind her.

     "Thank god," a voice behind her said. "I don't know what I'd do if we had another stampede." Y/N whipped around and came face-to-chest with a tall man wearing a name tag that read "Scott" at the top, the words "Regional Manager" written in small print right below. Y/N looked up slowly, still dazed from being yanked inside, and was caught off guard by the man's "face" - because it wasn't a face. It was a rotary phone. "So sorry to pull you in like that," he said. "Typically if we have the door open longer than three seconds, the kids start rushing in before we open. Hey, I'm Scott, you must be Y/N." He stuck out his hand for her to shake.

     She took it and decided to ignore the fact that he was an object-head. Object-heads hadn't been common citizens in years, but she could look past that. "Um, yeah, hey. And it's okay, at least I didn't fall." She smiled up at the man and released his hand, looking around the large, color-filled establishment. "Wow," she whistled. "It's gotten quite the makeover since my twelfth birthday." Scott laughed, his chuckle staticky and slightly garbled.

     "Ah, yeah, I've been working my ass off to get this place up to code. One more OSHA violation and we're done. Follow me and I'll show you around." Scott started walking and Y/N followed as he pointed out the kitchen, karaoke stage, Pirate's Cove, main stage, prize corner, break room, and back office. Once at the back office, Scott stopped. "This is where you'll be doing most of your work, but you and Vincent will sometimes rotate. He works the prize counter. Fritz does the food running and Michael and I take orders and do maintenance. When you run the corner, we'll sometimes have you leave and pick up prize packages at UPS. Are you cool with that?"

     Y/N simply nodded.

     "Great! I'll go grab your uniform and name tag, feel free to wait here or in the break room." Before Y/N could say another word, Scott rushed off to his office which was out of view of the cameras in the back room. Y/N hummed to herself, muttering, "Man, he talks fast." She left the back room and walked around the corner to the break room, pushing open the door and staring at the vending machine. Her eyes sparkled at the options: Chica's Combo Pizza Bites, Freddy Cakes, Fazbear Juice Gummies, Foxy and Friends Chocolate Squares, etc. etc. Y/N hadn't seen these snacks since she was a child, and she couldn't pick which ones to get.

     The break room door squeaked open, and Y/N spun around expecting to greet Scott, but was met with a striking purple face instead. "Hi there," he said, his big white eyes boring into her soul. "Um," she muttered. "Hi. I'm-"

     "Y/N, I know. I've heard so much about you." He looked her up and down with a slight smile before looking at the vending machine behind her. "I recommend the Freddy Cakes," he said. "They're basically Zebra Cake rip-offs at half the price." Y/N laughed lightly and said, "You sound like an ad, no offense."

     "Yeah, I get that a lot." He stepped forward and Y/N stepped out of the way, the man pushing in the buttons for the Freddy Cakes. As they dispensed, he said, "I'm Vincent. I heard we're gonna be working together a lot." He passed Y/N a small cake. "See you around, sugar plums." He stalked off as Scott came into the room, glaring at the grinning Vincent. As Scott approached Y/N he asked, "Was he bothering you?"

     "Uh... I'm... not sure." Scott handed her the shirt and name tag. "What's that supposed to mean," he asked.

     "Well he was nice and all, he bought me a Freddy Cake."

     "But...?"

     "He called me 'sugar plums'."

     Scott groaned as Y/N threw the shirt over her black tank-top, pinning the name tag to it on the right side of her rib cage. "How do I look?" Scott gave her a thumbs up and said, "Very stylish. But seriously, let me know if Vincent makes you uncomfortable, most of our female employees quit because of him." He shivered and Y/N nodded.

     "Why can't you just fire him?"

     "Believe me, I've tried, but he always strikes some kind of deal with Afton. I don't know what kind of relationship they have. Oh, by the way, he and Michael don't get along at all. They're about the same age, but Michael's his nephew."

     "Okay, thanks for letting me know. Where am I starting today?"

     "I'm gonna start you at the back office so you can watch everything before diving into the prize corner. Kids can be mean and tricky, so it's best to get a feel of the place before taking a spot on the floor."

     Y/N followed Scott back to the back office where he showed her how to control the thermostat and switch between cameras. "If you need to hide from Vincent," he said, "There's a storage compartment with a sliding door under the desk. It should always be empty." Y/N laughed and thanked him, watching the screens on the desk.

     "What's the food policy," she asked.

     "Drinks and refills are on the house, food is 80% off for employees. Also I don't care if you're on your phone or play video games or whatever, your only responsibility today is to call me on the walkie if something's going down on the main floor." He pointed to a small radio next to the fan. "Do you think you're good to watch the cameras on your own? We're about to open."

     "Yeah, I think I'm ready. Thanks for all the help."

     "Of course, it's my job. I'll come check on you every few hours. Go ahead and clock in on the tablet in the top left drawer." And with that, he rushed off again, leaving Y/N in the dimly lit, square office. Y/N spun around in the chair until she got dizzy, then tapped on the desk for a while as she looked around at the posters in the room. There were a few receipts and stray napkins on the desk which she threw in the trash and next to her. "This is gonna be a long day," she thought.

~~~~~

Pages: 3.3

Words: 1163