| 3 |

I flattened out the white skirt of my dress I would be wearing for the dinner party the Winchesters had invited us to. The time they had ended up setting was more of an invitation for tea, but nonetheless I would be wearing my white dinner dress. A white and airy fabric, accented by a sky blue belt around my waist. The neck buttoned tightly and a few centimeters up my neck.

"Now remember what I said," Mira lectured, having attempted to teach me ball room etiquette since her arrival yesterday, "fan on left cheek, not interested, fan on right cheek interested. Run your fan through your hand, I hate you. Hide your eyes behind the fan, I love you," she demonstrated each gesture with her own handheld fan while I picked at the edges of my own closed fan, which still looked like new. It was at least five years old, but had barely been used.

"Isn't there anything between hate and love?" I questioned quietly as I squinted out over the glistening waters in the lake.

"That is for the right cheek," she reminded with a heavy sigh, "then you're interested."

"But as a friend," I excused.

"You don't have any young men as just friends. They're all possible husbands," she reminded in amusement as the bright yellow house appeared in our view, "oh, grandma! That is a wonderfully beautiful house!"

Our grandmother looked away from the scenery to look towards Mira with a small smile, my grandfather merely glancing at her as if she was crazy. He had always found Mira to be a bit too much like the city, too crazy and loud. Meanwhile, it seemed to be the qualities my grandmother adored about Mira.

"Looks like the Lees already are here," my grandfather commented at the dark brown carriage outside the front of the Winchester house.

"Mr. Young," old mr. Winchester happily called out from the front door, rushing to open the carriage door for my grandfather to get out of the carriage, a friendly hug connecting the two, "mrs. Young, looking not a day over fourty," he flattered as he helped my grandmother down from the carriage, "and one of tonight's guests. Now... tell me is it miss Mira?" mr. Winchester chuckled as he assisted Mira down from the carriage.

"It indeed is, and can I just express my gratitude for this small party? A wonderful idea indeed," Mira gushed.

"You'll have to pay your compliments to my wife, I believe she was the one with the idea," mr. Winchester excused before turning to me and extending his hand as well, "now... Miss Millie, I heard mrs. Lee is very eager to talk to you."

"To me?" I questioned in amusement, holding onto my skirt as I got his assistance to get down onto the ground from the carriage, "must be because she brought her apple pie."

"She definitely delivered it straight to the kitchen," mr. Winchester nodded and followed me inside of the house after my grandparents and cousin, "it's a good pie indeed."

"Oh, I don't remember the last time she invited me down for tea and pie. It's truly been too long," I admitted and he only let out a small chuckle.

Mr. Winchester followed me out through the house and over towards their back patio, on which the Lees stood talking with mrs. Winchester. A few of the Winchester grandchildren running around while my cousin and grandparents already had gone to get a cup of tea.

"Oh!" mrs. Lee immediately exclaimed and raised her hand, looking straight towards me, "miss Millie. You must come here right away."

I smiled gently as I excused myself from mr. Winchester, who was all understanding. I set my stroll towards mrs. Lee, folding my hands in front of myself.

"Good evening, mrs. Lee. I hear you brought an apple pie for the tea?" I questioned and she immediately smiled widely.

"Just because I know you love them so much," she excused and carressed my elbow softly, "but I do want to introduce you to my nephew," she excused and glanced over her shoulder, calling over the young man that had met mr. Lee outside our house two days ago.

"Oh..." I trailed off in surprise as he turned around and a look of familiarity spread across his smile.

"Miss Millie, this is my nephew. Jake. He studies at the university in Cambridge, he's gonna follow after his father in the bank," mrs. Lee happily introduced.

"I'm Millie Bae Kirk," I introduced gently as he extended his hand towards me.

I let my hand slide into his, letting him pull the back of my hand up to be touched by his lips. His smile returning to his face immediately.

"So what do I call you? Miss Kirk or miss Bae?" he questioned in amusement.

"Well, if you want to be so formal we usually know her as miss Kirk," his aunt chuckled and I nodded in agreement.

"Pleasure to finally meet you miss Kirk," he let my hand go and I folded it into my other hand once again, "I believe I have seen you before, is that correct?"

"Oh, I had hoped you didn't see me looking from the library. Grandmother says it is rude to stare out of the windows for too long, but I was simply too curious about those voices," I excused with a tiny curtsy.

"No need," he quickly shook his head, "I suppose we're the same age. You don't need to be too formal with me."

"Miss Millie is living with her grandparents in the hill house," mrs. Lee quickly interrupted, "her grandfather provides the best apples in the area."

"So I've heard," Jake nodded in agreement, continuing to look at me with a wide smile every once in a while.

"And... she is currently not being courted by any handsome, young man," mrs. Lee continued.

"Oh, mrs. Lee I don't think that should be necessary," I quickly shook my head, "I can't possibly be more interesting than the girls in the city. I would personally say that Mira is far more interesting, suitors around every corner as far as I can understand."

"Oh, but I find Mira to be a bit too... city like for my nephew," mrs. Lee admitted and I let out a small laugh along with her, "surely miss Millie is a year younger than you, Jake, but lovely she surely is. Raised by the fields."

"Oh, with a beauty like the wild flowers I don't doubt it," Jake assured and I looked up at him with raised eyebrows. My first meeting with a boy my age in years, and that was by far the biggest compliment anyone had ever wanted to pay me.

"It's wonderful you already seem to have taken a liking towards her. For I have invited miss Millie for tea and apple pie on Wednesday," mrs. Lee pointed out and now my shocked expression turned to her.

"You have? I must've not gotten it, perhaps my grandfather forgot," I excused and she merely shook her head.

"I've just invited you. I suppose you are available on Wednesday," she excused and I immediately nodded.

"Oh, you know I am always available for tea and apple pie mrs. Lee," I assured her and she let out yet another small laugh.

"I am terribly sorry mrs. Lee, but I must, very urgently, have a word with my lovely cousin," Mira excused as she had rushed to link her elbow with my own, "I am terribly sorry, you will have her back in no time."

"Of course, we must always leave room for the family discussions," mrs. Lee let out a small laugh and waved us off.

I made sure to politely excuse myself, despite Mira dragging me away hurriedly. Within seconds we were down from the patio, walking around the garden together. Mira hat almost giving the both of us enough shade. It was a good thing I wasn't forced into such a horrid hat, we wouldn't be able to walk side by side if that was the case.

"What is so urgent then, Mira?" I questioned, a bit displeased that I had been pulled away from my conversation.

"What do you think then?" she questioned and I quickly frowned at her, "well... about mr. Sim."

"Who?" I questioned in confusion.

"Her nephew. Mr. Sim," she repeated and I glanced over my shoulder back towards the patio. Jake still stood with his aunt, drinking his tea, but he seemed to be watching Mira and I as we made our way around the garden.

"He seems kind,"I excused, "quite handsome... are all the boys in the city like that?"

"Even better," she grinned widely, "but he's kind, right?"

"Surely," I nodded as she stopped her walking and grabbed both my hands in hers. An excited smile spreading on her face, "what is it?"

"I plan to have mr. Sim court me," she admitted.