| 30 |

August 28, 1896

Dear miss Kirk, Millie, Mils,

whatever name you wish for me to call you by after this.

I cannot start to describe the sorrow and regret I feel after departing this morning. I had promised my train would be the one at dinner time today, I know. I broke that promise - and I'll strive to let that be the only of my promises to you that I will ever break.
Unfortunately something has happened at home. I cannot and will not go into further detail with you in the letter. I will, however, assure you that once I see you again I will explain everything. That's a promise I make and intend to fulfill this time.

For now I have to go this morning, even though I wish you could stand and wave goodbye to me as I leave on the train. I'll try and imagine you in all your beauty once I sit in the train today.

I want to thank you for giving me a far better summer than I ever could have imagined. Somehow you make me forget anything about my future and studies that's waiting for me in Cambridge. Each minute I spent with you I wasn't Jake Sim, to inheret my dad's bank - I was only ever just Jake. I was nothing more than I wanted to be, nor was I anything less than I could ever dream of being.

In this moment, as I'm writing this, and you're not with me and taking away my worries about the future I've started to think. I'm thinking about my future. Maybe, if I can gather the courage once I get to Cambridge, I'll change my course. I want to be a doctor and I want to study medicine. 

Furthermore, I want you. I'll make you two promises today; I will tell you why I had to leave so suddenly next time I meet you - and the next time I meet you I promise to bring an end to our courtship and bring an engagement ring. In my future I see myself being a doctor, and you being there as well.

Love, 

Jake