| 31 |

September 13, 1896

To Jake,

Ailea seems emptier these days. I never realized, but your presence in Ailea made a great difference. I suppose it came gradually, but left suddenly. I miss our walks through the fields, our days underneath the pear or apple trees. As incredibly boring as it may sound, I miss reading to you and the small comments you'd make in between. How you'd make me laugh.

Mira went back to London a few days ago. I was at the train station with her. You might want to watch out if you ever go to London, she keeps talking about you. Asking questions about how it's going with you and if it wasn't suspicious to me that you disappeared so suddenly. I don't find it suspicious, I understand you have a commitment to your family - as long as you don't forget me in Ailea.

I can't keep blooming in the same fields all of my life, one day I'll have to bloom in another field. (Preferably in Cambridge)

Even though Mira was the last to leave, I have to admit that after you left it did feel like I was the only young person in Ailea once again. It's been quiet and lonely since you left. I miss someone to talk to, someone who understands me properly and won't critisize me for anything.

Hopefully you'll come back soon.

Yours, Mils