| 19 |

I quietly flipped the page of my book, enjoying the chirping of birds sitting further up in the tree I was leaning against. Every once in a while I could hear the sound of a peble hitting a palm, softly.

Beside me on the blanket laid Jake, one arm under his head as he continued to toss the same small pebble up in the air time and time again, catching it each time. Beside the blanket, he had brought for us, stood the small basket mrs. Lee had packed for us to much excitement as far as I could understand.

"Do you really like reading that much?" Jake eventually questioned and I glanced down towards him with a small smile.

"Why? Is it bothering you?" I questioned in amusement.

"Just a thought... would make sense with your vocabulary and the look in your eyes," he excused as he sat up, pointing to his own eyes.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I let out a small laugh and closed my book with a finger on the page I had reached. Letting it lay softly in my lap.

"You continue to speak so politely, even though it's much less posh than if it was with my aunt or your grandparents... and when you look at things there's a certain fondness in your eyes, as if you appreciate everything you see," he excused and I hummed before looking down over the landscape in front of us.

"How can you not?" I questioned in amusement, "look at what's here. Where else would I see this?"

"But... if you like reading that much. Why not study Litterature?" he questioned and I looked down at him in amusement, "it's true... you can study it. And I know exactly where?"

"Well, how would I do that? I haven't been to school since I was 13," I reminded him in amusement.

"So? You can read, can't you?" he shrugged and looked up towards me, "and you can appreciate the hidden meaning in what you read."

"Depends," I reminded and he snickered in amusement, before shaking his head.

"Bedford College. They've opened admissions for women in a few departments including Litterature. The classes are actually co-ed, but that shouldn't be a worry to you," he assured, "it's two hours away from Cambridge by train. And possible to apply for dorms. Low price," he added and my smile slowly dropped.

"I can't afford it," I shook my head quietly.

"Apply for a scholarship," he offered, "they'll pay all expenses and if anything... I'm sure you can get a job near the college. Pay for food."

"I can't study," I shook my head at him.

"Why not?" he questioned quietly, "you have the head for it."

"I can't do the city," I shook my head quietly, "it'll tear me apart. Eat me up."

"Nonsense," he chuckled, "sure it's hectic, but it has its charm as well. You'd like it."

"I haven't lived in the city since I moved to Ailea when I was ten," I reminded and he glanced down over all the fields, finally looking back to me eventually.

"If you'd like... I'll put a good word in for you along with an admission for Bedford's litterary department," he offered and picked at his thumb nail casually.

"I'll think about it," I nodded quietly opening my book once again, not minding how Jake pushed himself up from the blanket and stretched his back once up on his feet.

"Have you thought about it?" he questioned and I glanced up to him as he looked over his shoulder, "the answer for my courting question? You knew the answer but not how to formulate it," he pointed out.

I pursed my lips in a small smile before looking over the fields, noticing how far away most of the houses was. It was only the hill house which would be able to see us properly as long as you kept yourself near one of the South turned windows.

"There's the midsummer ball on Saturday," I stated and he nodded casually, turning around properly to face me.

"Don't tell me you'll postpone your answer further," he smirked slightly and I shook my head as his hands landed on his hips.

"No," I assured with a small chuckle, "as of right now you have not done anything that has made me despice you one bit," I declared and he chuckled in amusement, "and as long as that is the case I would be very honored if we at the midsummer ball with do a small trial in which we court."

"A trial?" he questioned and I nodded quietly.

"And perhaps..." I trailed off looking down to my book and flipping a page over, "perhaps I will offer to take you to my parents so you can discuss it with my father."

"Is that so?" Jake questioned and I nodded quietly.

Almost immediately he had rushed over and swung himself down to sit flush against me by the tree. His face awfully close to my own once I turned my face and gave him a small smile.

"I'll be at my best behaviour," he assured with a small smile, "and I will make sure your mind makes up in no time. I will be getting that permission to talk it over with your father before July has ended."

"You've been here a month Jake," I reminded him and he nodded quietly.

"And a month is enough for me to be absolutely sure," he nodded, picking up a blade of grass, pulling it between his hands, twirling it quietly before looking towards me with a small smile, "all I'll pray about is your father finding me fitting."

"Mention your family's fortune and he'll be alright," I remarked and he chuckled in amusement, "don't mind him. He'll die before I'll ever be engaged," I assured.

"Is that so?" Jake questioned and I nodded.

"You'll see if I end up wanting to let you meet my parents," I hummed quietly and looked back down towards my book as Jake only leaned his head back against the tree trunk with a wide smile on his face.