Chapter 22 - Best Teacher Ever

Sebrina and Maeve exchanged a few words with the mysterious tall stranger before making their way to class. As they strolled towards the lecture hall, they engaged in a brief conversation, the hum of the passing students filling the air around them.

"So how'd you end up meeting a hottie like her?" Asked Sebrina.

"Well it was less of a meet cute and more me bumping into her and falling on my ass" replied Maeve.

"Well either way, you'll get a chance for a proper introduction at my get together tomorrow." Explained Sebrina

"Wait, you invited her? Why?" Asked Maeve.

"Are you kidding? You've gotta be blind, she's a total smoke show, you'd be an idiot to pass that up." Sebrina said as she nudged Maeve's shoulder.

"But I don't wanna get to know her, I already have-" Maeve was abruptly cut off

"Your magical girlfriend?" Said Sebrina

"Shh... you can't be saying that out loud" Maeve whispered as she covered Sebrina's mouth with her hand.

"Okay okay, but Maevey you have to think about the long term. Even if things do go well, this Cassandra woman won't be here forever. Eventually she'll go back to wherever she came from, and you'll be left alone and heartbroken... again. I really don't like seeing you like that" Sebrina's concern for her best friend was evident.

Maeve paused in her tracks, pondering her thoughts for a brief moment.

"I hate to admit it but she's right, Cassandra won't be here forever. What am I even doing, I'm digging myself into a hole I can't climb out of, but... these feelings, I can't just ignore them, I tried that already and it didn't go well. Arghh why's this soo hard?!"

"Hey, I know that face, you're overthinking again. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything." Said Sebrina.

"No you're actually right, I really should think about this a little more before doing anything drastic that I might regret." Just as Maeve finished her sentence she noticed Cassandra coming from down the hall.

Sebrina and Maeve arrived at their lecture hall, and as they approached Maeve tried to capture Cassandra's attention with a friendly wave. To her surprise, Cassandra brushed past her, not acknowledging Maeve's presence, entering the hall and proceeding to set up at the front of the class. Maeve stood there, perplexed by the unexpected coldness.

"Ouch..." said Sebrina "talk about a cold shoulder, she always like that?"

"No, somethings wrong. She didn't even look at me." Maeve knew immediately something was up, she didn't know exactly what, but she knew Cassandra for long enough to know she would never treat her like that.

Maeve brought out her phone and swiped to Cassandra's name to make a call, all while peeking into the lecture hall.

After two brief rings the phone was picked up and Cassandra answered on the other end with a simple "Hello?" Maeve couldn't help but question the bizarre situation unfolding before her eyes.

How was Cassandra right in front of her preparing for the class, but on the phone to her simultaneously.

"Cassandra?" Asked Maeve

"This is she, is that you Maeve?" Replied Cassandra

"Yes but... how the... how are you here and on the phone at the same time?" She continued in a whisper while cupping the phone around her mouth "is this a magic thing?"

"Of course, I completely forgot to inform you. The Cassandra before you is not me, but is also me." She explained.

"Huh?" Replied Maeve.

Cassandra explained to Maeve the gist of her magical clone. Maeve listened in astonishment, realizing the depth of Cassandra's abilities, which extended to creating duplicates of herself to manage various aspects of her life simultaneously, allowing her to attend to more pressing matters.

When their conversation was over Maeve pocketed her phone and looked at Sebrina.

"So?" asked Sebrina.

"Yeah that's not Cassandra, but it's her at the same time." Said Maeve, her face still in disbelief.

"How's that's even possible?" Asked Sebrina.

"It's a clone, that's why she didn't even so much as look at me. It's on sort of an autopilot, and right now it's in teaching mode, so there'd be no use trying to talk to her like she knows me."

"Wait so , the person on the phone, that was the real Cassandra?"

Maeve nodded.

"Okay, Maeve you know I believe everything you've told me so far, but a clone? That's just too much." Said Sebrina

Maeve thought to herself, "I get it to be honest, I've told her all this crazy stuff with no evidence to back it up, and she's been so supportive about it, not even so much as thinking I could be lying. She's been the bestest best friend anyone could ask for, I'll have to take her to meet Cassandra, properly this time."

Sebrina broke Maeve's train of thought with a gentle flick to her forehead.

"Ouch"

"You're doing it again, stop worrying, we'll talk about it some more later. C'mon let's get to our seats" said Sebrina.

This was a lecture that none of the students that were in attendance that day would ever forget. Cassandra was so prominent & articulate that she held the entire class captive, her words resonating with every student present.

The atmosphere in the lecture hall transformed into one of unparalleled focus and admiration. Students who were usually distracted on their phones or laptops listened diligently. Notes were being taken in notebooks, students at the very back moved to the front row seats to get a better view of the woman who taught like a scholar of old.

Even those passing by couldn't resist the gravitational pull of Cassandra's knowledge, with students and teachers alike gathering at the door to catch a glimpse of the extraordinary lecture. As the class concluded, a crowd formed around Cassandra, expressing gratitude and seeking guidance, turning an ordinary lecture into a memorable event.

"What the... Okay that was definitely weird. Ms Blake never taught like that. I've learnt more in the last 2 hours than I have this entire year. Everything you said is starting to make more and more sense." Sebrina commented.

"Told you" replied Maeve.

Unable to get through the large crowd surrounding Cassandra's clone, Sebrina and Maeve decided to exit the lecture hall and head to their cherished hang out spot by their favourite coffee shop. The disappointment lingered as they were truly looking forward to picking the brain of the knowledgeable clone, but the comforting ambiance of the coffee shop offered a solace of its own.

"So, she's coming tomorrow?" Asked Sebrina

"Yup, I hope that's cool?" Said Maeve

"Most def. After today I need to meet this woman who's stolen my besties heart. I'm curious to know what the real her is actually like. Just to let you know, if she fails the three tests, I'm not accepting her, no matter what!"

"Not this again" Maeve said as she laughed.

"You've gotta admit it's a pretty accurate testing system and has worked well with literally with all your past love interests" jested Sebrina.

"Fair enough" said Maeve reluctantly.

The duo engaged in deep conversations that stretched into the evening. The warm hues of the sunset painted the surroundings, casting a comforting glow upon their coffee cups and sweet treats. In the midst of shared laughter and heartfelt talks, the bond between the two friends grew stronger with each passing moment.