Chapter 1

"Get up!" Janette shouted, reminding me it was time for school. Change was coming, and I could feel it in the air. It was a new year at a new school.

I wanted to stay in bed a bit longer, but I didn't want to be late. So, I dragged myself out of bed and started getting ready. Taking care of my skin was super important to me because I used to get bullied for having acne. It got so bad that I had to switch schools not too long ago.

Carefully, I dressed in my uniform, ensuring it looked neat and tidy, and applied a touch of makeup before letting my straight brown hair fall freely around my shoulders. While it was okay, I secretly wished for curls instead, as we often desire what we lack.

,, Kamilla , come down. Breakfast is ready", Janette  yelled . Janette is my social worker. I was put in the system when I was 7. My parents passed away when I was just a little kid so I did not have any other choice. My relatives didn't want me. I don't know why but I know that I felt betrayed when I was told that they would rather put me in the system than take me in.

Having spent the summer under Janette's care, I couldn't shake the nagging sense of being unwanted.
Now, as I approached sixteen, finding a foster family seemed like an impossible task. Understandably, people were hesitant to take in a teenager they didn't know. Janette had taken me in over the summer, perhaps out of pity, but being the oldest at the orphanage had left me feeling overlooked and unwanted. Each time another child found a home, it stung, leaving me wondering why nobody wanted me. It was a painful reminder of my longing for acceptance and belonging.