Chapter 16 - "Fuck the King!"

"You made a very big mistake the days you went after the book." The King of Hybern told Rhys, as Evette's breathing came out hard and rough. "I had no need of it. I was content to let it lie hidden. But the moment your forces started sniffing around...I decided who better than to be my liaison to the human realm than my newly reborn friend, Jurian? He'd just finished all those months of recovering from the process, and longed to see what his former home had become, so he was more than happy to visit the continent for an extended visit."

The human queens smiled before they bowed their heads to the man. And from where she was on the floor, Evette scoffed to herself quietly. She knew they had been working with Hybern.

"The brave, cunning Jurian, who suffered so badly at the end of the War - now my ally." The King spoke. "Here to help me convince these queens to aid in my cause. For a price of his own, of course, but it has no bearing here. And wiser to work with me, my men, than to allow you monsters in the Night Court to rule and attack. Jurian was right to warn their Majesties that you'd try to take the Book - that you would feed them lies of love and goodness, when he had seen what the High Lord of the Night Court was capable of."

"The hero of the human forces, reborn as a gesture to the humans of my good faith." He spoke to the silent people all around him. "I do not wish to invade the continent - but to work with them. As I am with the Fey of Angevin. My powers ensconced their court from prying eyes, just to show them the benefits." He smirked at Azriel, who couldn't even lift his head.

"Such impressive attempts to infiltrate their sacred palace, Shadowsinger - and utter proof to their Majesties, of course, that your court is not as benevolent as you seem." He continued.

"Liar!" Feyre hissed, and she stepped closer to the queens. "They are liars and if you do not let my sisters and Allegra go, I will slaughter - "

"Do you hear the threats, the language they use in the Night Court?" The King questioned the human queens. "Slaughter, ultimatums...they wish to end life. I desire to give it."

"What about Evette?" Feyre demanded of him. "You bind her in iron chains...that does not look like you desire to give life. To not hurt anyone."

The King looked to Evette, who was only glaring up at him from her position on the floor. "You ought to take that up with the Black Queen." He replied. "Her price for working with me was to have her lovely niece captured, and killed. We can hardly disagree with the nature of the Fey." He gestured to where Evette was still bound by the iron chains that burned her upon the floor just beside them. "This is meek compared to what the Fey are used to."

"My dear cousin has had this coming, Fae!" Emory spat.

"Show us!" The eldest queen spoke up. "Prove this gift you mentioned."

"You're a fool!" Rhys told the queen, before he pulled Feyre closer to him.

"Is she?" The King queried. "Why submit to old age and ailments when what I offer is so much better? Eternal youth. Do you deny the benefits? A mortal queen becomes one who might reign forever. Of course, there are risks - the transition can be...difficult. But a strong willed individual could survive."

The eldest queen lifted her chin. "Show us. Demonstrate it can be done, that it is safe."

The King nodded. "Why did you think I asked my dear friend Ianthe to see who Feyre Archeron would appreciate having with her for eternity?" He asked. "The other girl...she's simply collateral...but example enough."

"Asshole!" Evette hissed from the floor, though everyone could hear the strain and shake in her voice.

Feyre gaped at the human queens in betrayal. "Oh, I asked them first. They deemed it too... uncouth to betray three young, misguided women." The King explained. "Ianthe had no such qualms. Consider it my wedding present for you both." He added to Tamlin.