Chapter 2: The Lounge

Freen came to stand in front of the younger woman after closing the door behind her, confident in her ever broken state. She reminded Becky of an ancient wonder, like the Great Pyramids at Giza, or the Wall of China - so full of cracks and yet still so magnificent.

Freen's presence was strong enough to be felt through a concrete wall as she prowled towards her nong, and it turned Becky's insides to mush and her legs to jelly. It was amazing how so much and yet so little had changed between them since their first ever meeting.

Silently Freen stepped closer and lifted her hand to stroke a few fingers down Becky's cheek, before coming to rest on her jaw and lifting it so that their lips could meet in the softest brush of a kiss.

However, the unwelcomed shot of electricity Becky felt from the simple touch was enough to make her jerk her head back and turn away from the goddess that still carried her bloodied heart around in her pocket. Searing pain bubbled up in the pit of her stomach and she tried her best to remove herself from the situation by leaving the room.

"I'll get you a towel..." was her meek excuse as she made her exit.

Freen glanced around her briefly as she unzipped her jacket and flung it over the back of the nearest chair, leaving her torso covered by an equally soaked black vest. As she glanced about the room, she spotted a photo frame on a side table and studied the two youthful faces it held. Becky and Friend during their freshman year at Bangkok University; clearly better days judging by their genuine smiles.

The raven-haired beauty's eyes narrowed somewhat, and she casually tipped the frame to lay face-down on the wooden surface of the table.

Friend came very close to snatching her beloved away from her recently, though Becky liked to point out the fact to Freen that they were not a couple anymore. Freen knew Becky was hers and always would be. She knew there was a deeply unsettling connection between them that could not be broken, no matter how many women she sleeps with or how many times Becky tries to "save" Freen.

Becky will always let Friend down, just like she had most recently. Freen smiled like the cat that got the cream as she recalled her latest victory over the brunette girl. It was barely a month ago since she had last taken Becky to bed.

"What's your plan, Freen?" Becky interrupted Freen's train of thought as she re-entered the room and handed a clean towel to Freen, her gaze unwittingly drifting over Freen's exposed and glistening arms and shoulders. She groaned inwardly at how her heart drastically picked up its pace.

"Mind if I take a shower and maybe crash here? Some ice for my lip would also be nice."

Becky marvelled at how nonchalant Freen could be in her requests, as if they were long-time friends and the answer would be 'but of course!' The actual situation was entirely different and it showed in the vexed expression on the younger woman's face.

"No, Freen. Don't act as if this is okay, as if this is acceptable. You can get yourself cleaned up while I phone you a cab." To say that Becky was on edge would be an understatement and Freen knew by experience that now would be the time to tread lightly.

Freen quickly stepped over to block Becky's way to the telephone.

"It wasn't because of a woman." Desperation spoke quickly.

"Oh whatever."

"I swear. I challenged some arrogant asshole's prowess in business and in bed after he mouthed off at me. I might have made it clear to him that my 'dick' was probably bigger than his.

He lost it, too drunk to restrain himself. However, he quickly fled when I dropped the family name. How pathetic is that?" Freen's tone quickly morphed from explanatory to mocking by the time she reached the end of her retelling of the evening's events, and the nuance was not lost on Becky.

"This was another tirade against the Chankimha name? When are you going to realise that you can't sever family ties with flesh wounds?" Becky sighed sadly at her former lover, remembering the days they were both still at University, when Freen didn't yet have to carry the burdens that came with being a Chankimha.

Out here in the real world, however, she dealt with the pressure recklessly, often leading to self-destructive behaviour. Becky knew that Freen hated herself because of her last name, but that at the same time it was her lifeline and she would never give it up. So, sometimes, she tried hopelessly to beat it into submission.

Freen scowled at Becky's unnerving ability to lay her soul bare at every turn and was quick to snap.

"You know I don't appreciate your attempts at psychoanalysing me. You forget you're only a student." She accused vehemently while motioning to the papers and books strewn about.

"And yet I still have a better understanding of you than you have yourself!" Becky was equally defiant in her retort, which made Freen stop and stare at the feisty young woman for a few moments.

Becky had grown up beautifully and Freen could not deny her increased attraction to the resolute brunette. She looked similar in appearance to the 18-year old that Freen had first fallen in love with, but in the last five years she had become more of a woman when regarding her slight increase in height and the comfortable curves she now carried. Her brown hair was slightly darker and a modern cut allowed a lengthy fringe that framed her sharper features perfectly.

She was the girl next door, glowing with mature innocence, and Freen was the wild rebel that broke her spirit.