Resolution to Anga Situation

Yudhistira ordered Karna to kneel beside his throne. A place was set up for Krishna to sit. The eldest Pandava asked the Sabha to start the discussion about the next king of Anga.

Before the discussion could start, King Dhritharatsra asked two servants to bring Duryodhana and Ashwathama back to the Sabha. The king wanted his son and his friend there to ensure a fair argument was made by both sides for Anga.

As the Sabha waited for his two friends, Karna started to get scared. What would happen to his beloved people? Karna thought that by gaining independence from Hastinapura, his kingdom would be able to run free but now these royals were fighting over the next king. Karna was feeling scared because how would he explain to Bhairavi didi that he was no longer the king of Anga but rather a slave to the Pandavas. His adoptive sister would surely be furious.

As Karna was drowning in thoughts about his big sister's reaction to his situation, Duryodhana and Ashwathama re-entered the Sabha. Both friends were angry but hearing of the change in Karna's punishment they were relieved. While they were still angry about the new punishment, this anger could be controlled. Many thought that since Karna is a warrior, the no food punishment would not affect him much but the two friends knew how much Karna loved to eat. Growing up without food had caused Karna to appreciate food more than anyone. With-holding food reminded Karna of his days as an orphan but he never let anyone other than his closest people know.

Duryodhana and Ashwathama knew that they had to win this discussion for Anga. They needed to give the crown to Bhairavi, Karna's adoptive big sister. That woman was a great warrior even among men. Her wrath cannot be borne by any mortal. If she came to know that Duryodhana had lost her precious brother and her beloved kingdom, he would not be spared despite being Karna's friend.

No matter the winner of the Sabha, Anga's leadership belonged only to Bhairavi. This discussion would determine whether a war would be fought in order to maintain Anga's independence or not. Giving Yudhistira kingship means war since he would not allow Bhairavi to take the kingdom from him. Giving Duryodhana kinship would mean peace since he would give it back to Bhairavi without qualms.

Krishna, knowing this situation due to his divine powers, encourages the Sabha to give kingship to Duryodhana. "I believe it is in everyone's best interest if Duryodhana becomes the new king of Anga," Krishna said.

Everyone was surprised once again, especially the Pandavas and Kauravas. Why is Krishna taking Duryodhana's side? It does not make any sense. Karna was also very suspicious. Krishna, understanding everyone's dilemma, decides to reveal the situation regarding Bhairavi to the Sabha.

"Some of you already know this but Anga has two rulers. One of them was Karna, but the other one is Bhairavi. Bhairavi is Karna's adoptive big sister and fellow disciple. She is a warrior queen whose strength is greater than even Gangaputra Bhisma. Her valor in mace fighting and arm-to-arm combat is equivalent to my Dau, Balarama. Once she knows of Karna's situation she will become furious at this Sabha. I warn you to not infuriate her even more by trying to take her kingdom," warned Krishna.

For once, the Sabha decided to be sensible and give Duryodhana the crown to Anga so that he can give it back to Bhairavi. The Pandavas were angry about the situation but they could not do anything. Afterall, when Keshava is warning against this person, they cannot say anything.

Sabha came to an end and the Pandavas decided to go back to Indraprastha and take Karna with them. They went back to their rooms to get ready for the journey and told Karna to prepare their chariots for the travel home. Karna went to the stables to get the arrangements ready.

Duryodhana did want to leave his friend but he knew that he had to. He needed to go back to Anga and tell Bhairavi about Karna's situation. She will surely release her beloved brother from the shackles of slavery.

Ashwathama, remembering his mitra's request, went to the stables as he heard the Pandavas' order to his mitra. There he saw his mitra readying the horses for the journey as he talked to them soothingly. "Mitra, you are always so kind to the horses. You always talk with them despite their inability to understand," Aswathama said with a fond smile.

Karna looked up hearing his mitra's voice. He smiled a sweet smile at Ashwathama and said, "My dear mitra, you may think that they do not understand but they understand more than anyone. Look at how they try to comfort me. I did not even share my pain with them but they can sense my sadness."

"You are right mitra Karna, anyway enough about the horses. What did you want to say to me?" Ashwathama asked.

Karna replied, "Mitra, I do not want you to be angry at Duryodhana. You know he is already feeling so bad. Also he must face Bhairavi's anger too so you have to be by his side. I request that you go with him to Anga and support him when he confronts my Didi."

Ashwathama looked at Karna as if he was crazy, "Have you gone crazy mitra? You want me to go with Duryodhana to face your devil sister? I think not. I do not wish to die."

Karna looks at Ashwathama with sad puppy eyes, "Please na. You know Didi will be kind if you go with Duryodhana. Take this bracelet with you. Didi gave it to me. She will understand that I am not angry with either of you and she will listen without going into a rage. Please Ashu, won't you support Duryo for your mitra."

Ashwathama is unconvinced of Karna's words. Afterall he has seen Bhairavi's anger once before when Karna was insulted by a neighboring king. That woman brought the whole royal family of that kingdom to a ruin and annexed it as a part of Anga. She was very protective of her little brother.

Ashwathama was about to make his argument again but was stopped by his mitra's puppy dog eyes. He could not say no to that innocent face so he agreed to go with Duryodhana. He will just have to pray for his safety on the journey there. Honestly, this brother and sister duo will be the death of him.

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------