Chapter 4: Mud Wrestling

Jonathan awoke with a sense of dread. Today was his birthday yet again, though surely it couldn't be as disastrous as the previous year's feline fiasco.

With a resigned sigh, he dressed and headed downstairs to make coffee. While waiting for it to brew, Jonathan retrieved the newspaper from his front step.

Settling at the table with his mug, he unfurled the Gotham Gazette and took a casual sip of coffee. The next moment he did an actual spit take - right there in the arts and leisure section was the calico kitten from last year's disastrous birthday party, frozen mid-swipe at his glasses. The caption below the ridiculous photo read "Happy Birthday Jonathan Crane!"

His shock quickly turned to burning rage. It was bad enough his colleagues had humiliated him last year with that foolish kitten party. But to broadcast the indignity to all Gotham?!

Storming out the door with the offending paper clutched furiously in one hand, Jonathan decided that a few carefully placed visions of terror would force his colleagues to take his birthday seriously from now on. Oh yes, this called for Scarecrow to make an appearance...

When Jonathan arrived at Arkham and flung open the doors to his wing, he was met with enthusiastic calls of "Happy Birthday!" mixed with poorly concealed giggles. His staff crowded around eagerly.

"Did you see the paper, Dr. Crane?" his coworker Amy asked, barely containing her laughter. "That photo is just precious!"

More chuckles echoed around them as Jonathan curled his fingers tighter around the newspaper. "I found nothing amusing about that spectacle," he said coolly.

Before Amy could reply, Leland stepped up with a wide grin. "Oh Jonathan, that photo turned out wonderfully, didn't it? You and that sweet little kitten look so cute together!"

Rage boiled up inside Jonathan as his face turned crimson. How dare she patronize him about that disastrous incident!

"You know Jonathan, I think that photo captures your soft side!" Dr. Leland continued, a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. More uncontrolled giggling from the group. "In fact, I'm going to frame a copy for my office!"

That was the last straw. Jonathan swept his blazing eyes across the mocking faces surrounding him. "Enough!" he thundered. "I will not tolerate this childish mockery any longer!" He flung the newspaper to the floor dramatically.

"Oh lighten up, it's your birthday!" his colleague Aaron protested lightly.

"Yeah, learn to take a joke!" Amy snickered.

Jonathan advanced slowly, eyes sparkling with menace. "A joke, you say?" His voice lowered threateningly. "Then perhaps a lesson in fear is in order..."

Their smiling faces wavered as he towered over them, blue eyes cold and merciless behind his glasses. Without another word, Jonathan swept past them.

Safely locked in his office, Jonathan allowed himself a thin smile. Let them wonder what he was plotting! After today his birthday would get the respect it deserved.

He pulled his mask from the desk and opened the cabinet where he stored his fear toxin.

A brisk knock sounded at his door, followed by a familiar chipper voice. "Dr. Crane are you in there? Open up, silly!"

Jonathan froze, cursing his luck. Of all people to interrupt, it had to be her. Carefully placing down his gear, he marched over and yanked open the door.

"What do you want, Harley?" he snapped.

Harley Quinn stood grinning cheerfully up at him in full jester regalia. "Happy birthday!" She blew a noisemaker right in his face with an obnoxious honk. Behind her floated a cluster of colored balloons.