Chapter 7: Blues Clues

Jonathan sat rigidly in his office at Arkham Asylum, willing the clock to move faster. In fifteen minutes his shift would end and he could escape before anyone had a chance to acknowledge his impending birthday. The fiasco Bruce Wayne had orchestrated last year was still fresh in his mind.

As soon as the clock struck 5:00, Jonathan hastily gathered his notes and coat. He had nearly made it to the staff exit when a voice spoke behind him.

"Going somewhere, Dr. Crane?"

Jonathan cringed and turned to see Warden Sharp standing there with his arms crossed, glancing pointedly at his watch.

"Just heading home for the day, Warden," Jonathan replied briskly. "Now if you'll excuse me..."

But Sharp stepped directly into his path. "I'm afraid not. I need you to go to the common room and check on some inmates exhibiting strange behavior. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so."

Clenching his jaw, Jonathan had no choice but to obey or draw further suspicion. He tossed his coat and briefcase back into his office then stormed down the hall. This was incredibly inconvenient and likely pointless busy work just to detain him longer.

As Jonathan approached the common room, an ominous silence hung in the air. He cautiously peered through the window, squinting into the darkness but unable to make out much. Apprehension trickled down his spine as he slowly pushed open the door, wondering what on earth could be going on in the pitch-black room.

He took a few steps inside, one hand trailing along the wall searching for the light switch. His shoes scuffed loudly against the floor tiles, the sound unnervingly loud in the dead quiet. Just as his fingers brushed the plastic switch, he heard the faintest rustle toward the back of the room. Jonathan froze, pulse quickening.

"Hello?" he called out tentatively. "Is someone there?"

Silence.

Unease prickling his skin, Jonathan flicked on the lights. As soon as illumination flooded the room, a chorus of voices suddenly erupted with a deafening, "SURPRISE!"

Jonathan leapt back with a startled yell, shock morphing to horror as his eyes adjusted to the brightly decorated space now swarming with familiar faces. He took in the room, transformed to resemble the children's show Blue's Clues.
There were arts and crafts stations, a giant replica thinking chair, blue paw prints snaking across the floors and walls...even images of the cartoon dog Blue and pals like Shovel, Pail, Magenta, and Tickety Tock staring cheerily back at him.

Jonathan stood rigid, eye twitching behind his glasses as he scanned the bizarre, chaotic scene before him. Laughter rang out around the room at his dumbstruck expression.

"What's wrong, Johnny boy?" The Joker called out mockingly from amongst the crowd. "You look like you've seen a ghost!"

More laughter followed as the cast of rogues and Arkham staff members watched him eagerly, seeming to relish his shock and dismay. Jonathan noticed Edward Nygma and Jervis Tetch exchanging amused glances while Poison Ivy and a few of the guards failed to suppress smiles behind their hands.

Jonathan clenched his jaw, willing his nerves to settle. Clearly, these lunatics had been planning this spectacle for some time if they had managed to decorate an entire common room and gather so many co-conspirators.

"Don'tcha like your party, birthday boy?" Harley Quinn chimed in with a dramatic pout.

Jonathan's jaw worked soundlessly before he managed to sputter out, "How did you— I never— this is completely inappropriate! I'll see you all written up and thrown in solitary for this stunt!"