Date Two

DATE TWO:

Place: Twisty Sweets

Time: April 12th, 2:00 pm

Yelp: 3/5 stars | Date: 5/5 hidden cameras

Rosie’s upset with Jennie, but she’s even more upset with herself, and how badly the date went even though at times it was going so well. And then Rosie finds that she can’t really be mad at Jennie at all - Jennie left because of her job, and maybe if Rosie would have politely asked those people to go they would have been able to spend more time together. Maybe if Rosie hadn’t indulged anyone, they could have finished. Or if she wore that damn mask, or - ah, there are too many or’s.

She wishes she could just be upset with Jennie.

She loves her fans, but some things - people - are more important, which is something Rosie never thought she would believe. She hasn’t really had to make time for people in a while. Jane and Lisa, her best friends, are part of her life and career, her family has always been there; but now there is Jennie.

Rosie was surprised when Jennie texted her. After that dreadful date she feared that might be the last of it, that she might’ve blown it.

She sits on a bench, watching the water move slowly. Glasses press against her face as well as a mask so she won’t be noticed, though she can feel someone watching her.

She looks away from the lake at the sound of a throat clearing behind her, turns and sees Jennie with two ice cream cones. Jennie stares for a good moment and then begins to laugh. Hard laughter, deep from the stomach.

“What?” Rosie asks, scowling.

“I love the new look.” She gestures to her own face with a hand before laughing some more.

Rosie pulls the mask down and grins. “I was trying to go full incognito.” Rosie glances around at the bushes.

“Incognito?” Jennie shakes her head. “You’re ridiculous.”

Rosie sticks her tongue out before darting her eyes towards the strawberry ice cream in Jennie’s left hand. “Is that mine?”

Jennie glances at both the cones. The other is chocolate. She hands Rosie the strawberry one, making her way to sit next to her on the bench. “Think of it as an apology for leaving the bill last minute.”

Rosie takes the cone, dipping her tongue towards the side. “Hey, can we walk?” she asks.

She watches the bob in Jennie’s throat, the slender column of her neck. “Yeah.”

Both of them stand, idly walking on the sidewalk and occasionally brushing hands. There are a few people out, but not too many since it’s the middle of the day, so Rosie leaves the mask partially off.

“I’m sorry,” they both say at the same time.

Rosie chuckles. “I shouldn’t have--” Rosie bites down on her lip before licking her ice cream again. “I should have gotten us a more private section somehow, or not talked so much to the fans. It’s just - I’m really not used to dating, and--” Jennie cuts her off by shaking her head.

“No. I mean, that’s what you’re supposed to do, right?” She swallows in. “And in any case, I should have mentioned that I was on call that night.” Jennie ducks her head and blushes. “It’s kind of new to me, too.”

The air feels brisk against Rosie’s skin, not too hot and hot too cold; dry. She swings her hand again, but this time comes up to hold Jennie’s in a single move. Jennie doesn’t make a move to let go. “So we’re both clueless, huh?”

“I guess we are.” Jennie’s voice and smile are both soft.

“But you know,” Rosie starts, “at least I didn’t leave a girl with the bill.” She tilts her head to the side. “Ah...I didn’t count on you to be so cheap.”

Jennie gasp, turning to face her. “Well, considering the date was more between you and the fan trio.”

Rosie looks up as if pondering, she places her finger to her chin. “You know, now that I think about it, one of them did eat your food. And the blonde girl was kind of cute.”

Jennie bumps her hip against Rosie’s as they’re walking, causing her to smear ice cream all over her chin. It’s cold and Rosie can taste the sugar on her lips and teeth. “Hey!” she says, forming a pout when Jennie begins to laugh at her. “You have some ice cream on your chin as well,” Rosie says.

Jennie takes the bait, creasing her brows together and bringing her hand to her face to check for ice cream. She looks at her dry hand. “Where?”

And that’s when Rosie does it. Afterall, she’s known for being bold. She takes the hand in her own and pulls Jennie closer before pressing their lips together.

Jennie makes a small humph before leaning in further to Rosie, sliding her now free hand down to Rosie’s waist. Jennie taste like chocolate, mostly; her lips are cold and wet and sweet, but also just as soft as Rosie remembered from when they last kissed in the office. When they’re close, Rosie can smell the hints of lavender shampoo and conditioner mixed with body spray. She can feel the warmth of Jennie’s body, her frame tight against Rosie’s.

Rosie runs her hand along the back of Jennie’s head, tangling in smooth, orange locks, then down lower to glide her fingers over Jennie’s neck.

Jennie breathes into her mouth, the tiniest exhale. Rosie pulls away, if only because there are people around.

Still, Jennie rests her forehead against Rosie’s for a moment, letting her eyes flutter open slowly.

“Right there,” Rosie says, swiping her finger against Jennie’s lips and licking a small remnant of ice cream.

Jennie pulls her ice cream up, dabbing both of them in the face with it. Rosie gasps and does the same, and soon neither of them have much ice cream left to fling at each other.

People are looking at them, and Rosie thinks one of them - a younger girl - recognizes her, so she walks them over to the bench quickly, getting napkins on the way.

Jennie wipes her face off, and Rosie scooches closer until their sides are pressed against each other.

“Hey, Rosie?”

“Yeah?” she says, tugging her eyes away from the lake.

“When you said we were just friends at the restaurant,” she starts, and Rosie’s eyes grow wide. “Was that just a publicity thing?”

“Publicity? Why wouldn’t I want people to know I was dating you, I mean…” Rosie pokes Jennie with her elbow. “You’re kind of attractive. I guess. If you’re into that sort of thing.”

“Then why--?”

“Because, being anywhere near me causes lapses in privacy. Jane’s been spied on by God knows how many times in the years knowing me, same with Lisa - and they’re just my friends, people who work with me. If they found out I was seeing someone? Especially a woman--”

“I don’t mind,” Jennie says abruptly, and then covers her mouth. She swallows. Her cheeks are tinted with a faint pink that carries over towards her chest. “I mean, I know what I signed up for and I - I don’t want to hold back.” She looks pained as she says it, as if she had to pull the words out of her body by force.

Rosie’s chest hurts. She doesn’t know if she’s ever felt this sort of adoration, this feeling of safety; which is ironic because it’s also scary. So so scary. “You know, Jennie Kim, I don’t think you’re good for my health.”

Jennie twirls her hair and looks away for a second before turning back to face Rosie.

“Two nights from now I have to go to a premiere party. It’ll be totally boring and lame, but - would you wanna go with me? As my date?”

Jennie kisses her, and Rosie knows that someone is watching her. She doesn’t care.