Leather, Lace and Rock-n-Roll

CHAPTER TEN

Rachel had just dozed off when somewhere in the depths of her subconscious she swore she heard a telephone ring, but her brain refused to let her believe it. Instead, peaceful REM patterns took over and returned her to a warm, dream-filled cocoon.

And then the obnoxious noise intruded again.

Why didn't someone answer the ringing beast? Rachel groaned and forced herself awake enough to realize the noise came from the phone on a table beside the bed.

Half irritated, she rolled over and answered. "Hello?"

"Miss Newberry?"

Rachel sat up, rubbed one eye with her free hand, then glanced at the clock next to the phone.  2:00 a.m. "Yes?"

"Sorry to bother you, Ma'am, but this is the Diablo Fire Department central dispatch. There's been a fire in the Pacific Valley Heights addition. It's one of yours."

Rachel didn't give the dispatcher time to explain any further.  She mumbled a quick thank you, slammed down the phone and sprung from bed.

Minutes later, Rachel crammed the car in park, shoved open the door, and sprinted toward the smoldering structure. Heat penetrated her pores as tiny bits of ash fell from the night sky like snowflakes and stuck to her sweat-dampened skin.

"Rachel!"

Rachel only vaguely recognized her name as she came to an involuntary abrupt stop when she bounced off ahard-bodied fireman in her path.

"You can't go any closer."

She lifted her now-watering, burning eyes to see Rick Martinelli slide his helmet from his head.

"How did this happen?"

Rick brushed his forearm across his forehead then wedged the helmet between one arm and one hip. "We don't know for sure yet."

She dug deep for patience. "Guess, Rick."

"Arson."

"Why?"

"No way to know."

"How extensive is the damage?"

"Total."

Rachel fumbled for her cell phone then realized she left it behind. "I need to call Hawke."

"He's on his way. The captain made the call. "Rick handed her his helmet and then shrugged out of his jacket. The scent of burning wood assaulted her nostrils.

"Here, put this on."

She frowned. "You'll need that, won't you?"

Rick shook his head. "Fire's out. I won't be going back in."  He gave her a lopsided grin. "Besides, I'm not standing out here in my nightie."

Rachel gasped, thrust the helmet back at him, and grabbed the coat. "Thank you."

Rick replaced his helmet. "You're welcome." Rick turned and headed back toward a row of fire trucks. After several steps, he tossed her a wink over his shoulder. "By the way, I always appreciated your legs."

Rachel gave him a weak smile, squeezed the coat tighter around her, and then glanced back at the area where Hawke's house had begun to take shape. Absolutely nothing had been spared by the angry flames.

"Oh my God."

Rachel flinched at the sound of Cameron's voice beside her. She tucked several pieces of hair behind her ear." At least it was just the frame."