Leather, Lace and Rock-n-Roll

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Rachel adjusted the thin strap of her emerald gown one more time before pronouncing herself ready. Her hand shook slightly as she pushed a wayward tendril of hair off the side of her face. Good grief, you've been to a thousand of these things. Just not with Jaydon Hawke. When she agreed to go with him, she had no idea she would be this much of a basketcase. Truth be told, she should be relaxed. Especially after last night's romp in the trees.

She took one last look in the mirror and slid the mascara wand over her eyelashes. Flinching at the shrill tone of the gate buzzer, she groaned as the wand connected with her right eyeball.

"Oh...ow!" She blinked several times and then pushed the intercom button to speak. "Hawke?"

His sexy rasp reached through the box and tickled her nerve endings. "Am I early?"

"No, come on up."  She rattled off the security code and waited on pins and needles until he rang the doorbell.

Taking a deep breath, she poised herself and opened the door. Only to find herself totally unpoised immediately.

The sight of Hawke lounged against the doorframe weakened her knees. The black jacket he wore showcased his broad shoulders and toned arms, the white shirt beneath was unbuttoned to the waistband of his pants to reveal his tempting, tanned, sculpted chest and steel-plated abs. Rachel wet her lips with the tip of her tongue. No tie. Her eyes continued downward tohis tailored pants fastened around his lean waist, cupping his package and daring her to unwrap him.

Hawke snickered and pushed himself off the frame. "Rachel, if you really want to go to this thing, we better leave now. Otherwise, we won't make it. Not the way you're looking at me."

Her cheeks burned. "Oh, sorry."

He grinned and ran his knuckles down her arm. "Don't be sorry, we could just stay here."

As good as he looked, she wasn't convinced she was ready for those repercussions. Rolling her tongue back inside her mouth, she pulled herself together.

"After I spent three hours in front of a mirror?" she teased, "I don't think so, Handsome."

He placed his hand to the small of her back as they left the house and approached the limo, only losing contact long enough to open the door. As she bent to enter the limo, she remembered too late about the barely-there neckline of her gown and glanced at the two passengers already seated.

"Hey, Rachel," Max greeted huskily from behind his trademark tinted lenses.

"Hi, Max."  Although a little embarrassed, she fought the urge to giggle. Even though Max had already seen the girls, she was somewhat comforted by the glasses.

Greg nodded as Hawke slid next to her. "You look great."

"Thank you."  Almost immediately, Hawke took her hand and pressed it against the top of his thigh.

Rachel's head spun as Greg explained the tactical procedure of their entrance at the convention center during the short ride. There was so much planning involved in everything concerning Hawke.

When they arrived, she watched Max unfold his burly frame from the car first and scan the area before he signaled for Greg. Hawke stepped out next and instantly, flashbulbs popped in the dark night, echoing like fireworks off the downtown skyscrapers.  With Max positioned firmly in front of him, Hawke extended a hand and gently pulled her from the seat. Rachel drew a deep breath. This is it. Now I've officially become arm candy.

She glanced at Hawke and for a split second considered ducking back into the car. But when his incredible smile lit his face, running away was the furthest thought from her mind. She balanced one bare, smooth, long leg on the pavement and stood, holding on to his hand for dear life.  As if he sensed her uncertainty, Hawke drew her next to him and tucked her to his side.