Leather, Lace and Rock-n-Roll

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Tucked in a tight spot between two parked cars, Hawke rolled off Rachel and pulled her to a sitting position. "You okay?"

She shook her head. "I don't think so."

He followed her gaze to her thigh, smeared in blood. "Max! She's hit!"

Max appeared in seconds, hoisted Rachel in his arms, and headed for the Suburban. Hawke's thighs burnt as he tried to match Max's stride.

Max moved Rachel to one side and threw open the Suburban door with a free hand. "In the truck, Hawke."

Hawke stepped inside the Suburban and scooted to one side while Max set Rachel in the empty seat beside him.

"Give me your shirt."

Hawke yanked his t-shirt over his head and tossed it to Max. Max tore the cotton in half and wrapped it around Rachel's left thigh. It was then Hawke noticed the wound, now seeping blood at a fairly steady pace. Rachel sucked in a quick breath when Max squeezed the edges together.

"Just a graze," he said, "but she may need a couple stitches."

Hawke glanced at Max, ready to demand answers. Max gave his head a slight nod from side to side and closed the door.

Hawke looked at Rachel, now ashy and pale. His heart ached and adrenaline pumped anger through his veins. He reached to smooth her hair from her face. "If you wanted me to take off my shirt, all you had to do was ask."

She gave a weak smile as Max drove out of the parking garage, cell phone tucked between his shoulder and ear and issuing orders to Greg Huntington.

"Max?"

Max twisted the phone away from his mouth.

"Could you please ask Greg to call Cameron and ask her to come get my delivery?"

Max nodded and then continued speaking.

Rachel reached to soak more blood with the shirt and hissed at the contact. "This will be all over You Tube in a matter of minutes."

Mad as hell, Hawke couldn't help but grin. "Now who's being dramatic?"

Rachel raised her head and the pain that sparkled in the depths of her eyes damn near made him grit his teeth in two. "I'm serious." She took a deep breath and then released it. "Check it out."

Hawke bit the inside of his cheek. Even in pain her logic took over.

Max snapped his cell phone closed and caught Hawke's attention in the rear view mirror. "Huntington called Diablo Memorial. No media."

Rachel leaned her head back against the seat and closed her eyes. "Thank you, Max."

Max pulled back onto the main road. "Won't be long."

Hawke gripped the arm rest as Max swung the Suburban into the Emergency Room drive at Diablo Memorial and crammed it in park. In mere seconds, the sliding doors opened and a nurse arrived with a two hundred pound orderly and a wheelchair. Max opened the passenger door, eased Rachel into the chair and then gestured at Hawke to get out.

Both men followed Rachel inside until the orderly stopped in front of a set of metal doors. "Sorry, gentlemen, you'll have to wait out here. The administrator is on her way to take you to the lounge."

Hawke opened his mouth to argue when he felt Max's hand grip his shoulder. "Thank you."

Hawke backed up against a wall and ran a hand across his forehead. "Can this day get any worse?"