6 • i missed you so much

Melody felt content on the boat with her best friends and brother

Melody felt content on the boat with her best friends and brother. She felt whole again, like all would be right in the world. But deep down, she knew it wouldn't be. That something bad was brewing in the OBX all over again and when they grew closer to the dock near the Chateau, she pushed that dark feeling as far down as she could. Whatever it is can wait one more day. She just wants one semi-normal day with her family before shit hits the fan again.

"There she is." John B stated softly, staring ahead at his house as the boat drifted closer. Melody looked at him, a soft smile gracing her face.

"Bet it is good to see her old bones." JJ added. "Welcome home, guys."

The boat reached the dock and the boys tied it off and instantly jumped onto the dock. John B led the way to his house.

"You know, I gotta be honest." Kie voiced. "Not exactly looking forward to a check-in at home."

Melody grimaced. "I was trying not to think about that bit."

"My parents probably already arranged our funerals." Kie added. Melody only hoped that they don't completely boot her out of their house. After all, she's not technically their child and she did completely go against their wishes. Her and Kiara were gone for almost two days!

"I predict unpleasantries at the Heyward household after I left the truck in Charleston." Pope stated.

JJ stretched his arm over Melody's shoulder but the short girl instantly grimaced when she felt his sweaty and sticky skin so she wiggled his arm off of her. "You're sticky, J."

He gave her a look and wiggled his eyebrows. "But you love my stickiness."

Melody's face turned red in embarrassment and she slapped him in the chest. Aggressively whispering, "JJ! Not the time!"

The blonde sighed dramatically but decided to turn to his other friends and leaned on the rails. "Look, no one knows we're here, right? And you three aren't gonna get into any more trouble for showing up 12 hours later. Am I right, or am I right?"

Melody and Kie shared a look, trying to gauge what the other thought about the situation but when Kie shrugged, Melody figured she was agreeing with him.

"You're not wrong." Pope stated reluctantly.

"So that means we have 12 hours to do whatever we want. Huh?" JJ looked around at his friends, a hopeful smile on his face. "A little Pogue fellowship. How does that sound?"

"Let the sh¡t hit the fan tomorrow, come on!" John B stated, looking around. That's what it took for Melody to agree. He said the exact words she was thinking only a little bit ago.

"The cops could be looking for us. It could be really stupid." Sarah said.

"Sarah Cameron, you've heard of my philosophy, right?" JJ asked, walking closer to her with a huge smile on his face. Melody and John B instantly looked at each other, knowing smirks on their faces. They mouthed the next words with him, smiling. "Stupid things have good outcomes all the time."