Through the trapdoor 1

Blaise and Millie's apathy toward the fate of the Philosopher's Stone continued right up until the beginning of their exams, despite Harry having told them about his encounter with the Devil's Snare. Millie didn't think it was conclusive evidence that Professor Sprout had used the plant in defense of the stone. Blaise didn't seem to care either way.

"I've got money," he said blandly one day before their charms exam, "And so have you, Harry. What do we need a stone that can turn metal into gold for?"

Harry didn't know how to explain that for him, stealing the stone meant a lot more than financial security. He was mostly motivated by a spiteful desire to prevent Snape from getting the stone, that much was true. But in recent weeks, a second motive had started to take form. Harry reasoned that if he was able to rescue the stone from Snape's oily clutches, that would make him something like a hero to Flamel. Harry was already famous, or rather infamous, for the tragedy that befell his family. He was starting to like the idea of becoming renowned for something he had achieved himself.

It was a secret wish he could never say aloud, lest his friends make fun of him. Besides, the fact remained that they knew only half of the dangers guarding the stone, and they still didn't know how to get past Fluffy. And so Harry tried to focus his attention on transfiguring a mouse into a snuffbox for Professor McGonagall, and somehow managed to make a pineapple tap-dance across his desk for Professor Flitwick. Practical exams were odd.

The final exam was in History of Magic, a test that Harry was certain he'd failed miserably. He spared a few glances toward Blaise and Millie to see how they were faring, but from the expressions on their faces, neither of them were doing much better. It was a shame that Professor Binns hadn't quizzed them on the life and career of Nicolas Flamel. Harry was certain he'd have passed with flying colors.

Although the exam had been a disaster, Harry couldn't help but cheer with the rest of the students as he rolled up his parchment to hand in. Testing was finally over. There was only one week left in the term, and they could use it however they wanted until the exam results came out.

Harry already knew how he was going to use his final week at Hogwarts. He was going to make a grab for the stone, whether Blaise and Millie agreed to help him or not.

But for the moment, he decided to follow his friends outdoors along with most of the student body to enjoy the fine day and celebrate the end of exams. They settled at their favorite spot near the edge of the lake and watched three Gryffindor boys tease the tentacles of the giant squid, who as basking luxuriously in the shallows.

Millie pulled out a scrap of parchment and began doodling strange little figures. Blaise had stretched himself on the ground with his arms behind his head and looked prepared fall asleep. Outdoor naps were becoming an annoying habit of his. Harry pulled his snitch out of his pocket and began to toy with it carelessly, lost in his own thoughts.

Suddenly, his scar began to sting. Harry gave a hiss of pain and reflexively moved to cover the lightning-shaped mark. Millie glanced at him and Blaise opened one eye.

"Something wrong, Harry?" Blaise asked.

Harry rubbed his scar thoughtfully. The only other time he could remember his scar hurting him had been at the very beginning of the year, when he first laid eyes on Snape. It troubled him that it hurt again now.

"It's just my scar..." he said self-consciously. He didn't like drawing attention to the symbol of his ill-gotten fame.

"It's never hurt you before, though. Has it?" Millie asked, turning her attention partially back toward her doodles.

"Actually... It has hurt before. But just once. And because of Snape... I think it's a warning. Snape might be trying to steal the stone."

Blaise and Millie exchanged a look, then Blaise pushed himself into a seated position. He moved closer to Harry and wrapped a friendly arm over his shoulders.