Gambling with Gorgons

Harry did not want the setback with Moaning Myrtle to impede his investigation. The very next day, he decided to put Professor Lockhart's knowledge of dark magic to the test. Harry didn't have any faith in Gilderoy's ability as a teacher, but Harry reasoned that Lockhart couldn't have written so many books on the subject without some knowledge.

Harry still remembered the way Lockhart had bragged about knowing just the counter-charm that could have saved Mamon if he had only gotten there sooner. While Harry was sure he knew of no such thing, it made him wonder if there was in fact a spell that could have cursed the cat in that particular way. Harry thought that if he had a clue as to how the feat had been accomplished, then perhaps that would reveal who had the skill to cast such a dangerous curse.

Harry shared his idea with Blaise, who evinced even less faith in Lockhart than Harry himself, but for Millie's sake, he agreed that they must make the attempt.

Increasingly, Defense Against the Dark Arts had become little more than a venue for Professor Lockhart to reenact some of the exciting scenes from his books, so that class had become more theater than classroom. As the bells signaling the end of class sounded, Lockhart was just finishing up a particularly touching account of how he performed a homunculous charm on a werewolf that had been terrorizing a small village. Harry, to worm his way into Lockhart's good graces, agreed to play the part of the werewolf, and he was busy wriggling about on the floor, mimicking the excruciating pain a werewolf under the effects of the charm was said to undergo.

Harry remained on the floor, panting slightly from the effort of his performance, while the rest of the class gathered their books and papers to leave. The girls were all deeply moved by Lockhart's account of his own bravery and compassion. All except Millie, of course, who couldn't repress several scoffs and giggles during the scene. Harry merely swallowed his shame, knowing that Malfoy would not soon let him forget this most recent indignity.

"Capital performance, Harry," Lockhart said when he stopped fixing his hair in the mirror and noticed Harry still lying on the floor. He offered his hand and helped to pull Harry to his feet. "If you're looking for a career that will catapult you to fame, I'd say you have a promising career on the stage."

Harry could have reminded him that he was already famous, but thought better of it. Lockhart did not like anyone to shine brighter than himself. Instead, he shot a glance at Blaise. His friend was still in his seat, shooting a hostile look at Lockhart and looking like he wanted to back out of this plan. Instead, seeing Harry's pointed gaze, he stood and made his way reluctantly toward the teacher.

"Mr. Zabini!" Lockhart said with genuine delight. "How are you doing? Your mother is well I trust?"

Harry could tell that it took all of Blaise's willpower to turn his cringe into a smile.

"She's well, Professor Lockhart. I think she's enjoying your book."

"Oh? Which one?" Lockhart said with a delighted grin.

"The one I've just had the privilege of seeing you perform, sir."

"Ah! Wanderings with Werewolves. Indeed, one of my favorite adventures."

Blaise, usually oozing with charm, especially when he knew he stood to gain something, gave Lockhart a tight smile.

"She seems to be particularly interested in the homunculous charm you so excellently exhibited for us just now. I'm sure she'd love to know how you managed such a difficult spell."

Lockhart cleared his throat in obvious discomfort and quickly redirected his attention to Harry.

"Yes, well... I would be delighted to tell her, but perhaps that's a discussion for another time. I'm sure Harry here did not wait around just to ask about the homunculous charm! What is it I can do for you? Some advice about the ladies perhaps?"