Diagon Alley

Harry was finally able to send a reply to Millie's letters, which had grown steadily shorter and more irritable after the first had met with no response. Harry made sure to explain the mistake that had been made, and begged Mrs. Zabini to let Millie come visit. Blaise joined Harry's pleas, though they were hardly necessary, as Mrs. Zabini had no objection. She even suggested that Millie come spend the rest of the summer with them at Ascending Downs. Millie's parents were appealed to, and in no time at all, they had a response stating she could come the very next day.

Mr. and Mrs. Bulstrode were rather different than Harry had imagined. Millie took after her father, who was very tall and broad, with a large, square head atop even squarer shoulders. Surprisingly, Mrs. Bulstrode was very thin and bony, much like Harry's Aunt Petunia. She wasn't exactly pretty, but Harry got the impression that she was a woman who cared a great deal about appearances. To Harry's untrained eye, they were dressed in expensive clothes, though Mr. Bulstrode's formal-looking robes fit a little too tight across his chest and shoulders, as if he'd grown too big for them. He looked stiff and uncomfortable. Mrs. Bulstrode seemed more at ease in her slim-fitting gown, although Harry thought her clothes appeared a bit old-fashioned. There was a distinct smell of dust around them, and something similar to mothballs, causing Harry to suspect that these clothes were rarely worn, and had been dragged out specifically for this occasion.

Mrs. Zabini gave no indication of having noticed their slightly shabby appearance, though Blaise gave Harry a very pointed look, showing that the smell had not escaped his attention. Millie, thankfully, seemed like her normal self, if not a bit more surly than usual.

Mrs. Zabini invited everyone in to have a cup of tea. The Bulstrodes accepted graciously, and soon they were seated around the fireplace in the grand parlor. Harry and Blaise were doing their best to behave, when all they really wanted to do was drag Millie from the room and tell her everything they knew, and suspected, about Draco's plans to keep Harry from Hogwarts this year.

Instead, they silently sipped their tea while the adults made small talk.

"It's terribly kind of you to allow Millie to stay with us for the rest of the summer," Mrs. Zabini was saying, "Blaise has talked of nothing else but having his friends over for a visit."

"No trouble at all," Mr. Bulstrode replied. Harry was surprised to see his rather gruff face break into a warm smile, "We should be thanking you. Very kind of you to take in interest in our poor Millie."

Harry saw Millie's cheeks turn a light pink. She lowered her face and drank her tea in silence.

"I take an interest in all of Blaise's friends," Mrs. Zabini said.

"Yes, I see," noted Mrs. Bulstrode. Her gaze had rarely strayed from Harry since they first arrived, though she hadn't yet ventured to address him. Harry felt embarrassed as her eyes raked over his hairline, clearly searching for the scar hidden beneath his fringe.

She finally looked away, turning to address Mrs Zabini, "But it really is very kind of your son and... It's very kind of the boys to make friends with our Millie. We know she hasn't much to offer someone like..."

"Millie's great," Harry blurted. Millie was staring straight at her feet. She refused to raise her head.

Millie's father had carefully avoided looking at Harry as much as Mrs. Bulstrode had done nothing but stare. Now he turned his full attention to Harry for the first time, and Harry saw his warm smile turn to stone. The expression was still there, but Harry felt as if the grin did not quite reach his eyes.

"Oh, we know our girl is special! But that's just a parent's partiality. We know it can be difficult for other people to appreciate her merits. I daresay you boys took an interest in her out of pity. It's the best we can expect, but we hope in time you'll come to be good friends."