#6 - YOUR LUMBERJACK

The initial excitement of the festival had begun to subside as the days passed you by effortlessly

The initial excitement of the festival had begun to subside as the days passed you by effortlessly. Slowly but surely, the citizens of District 7 succumbed to the demands of the Capitol, resuming their places as cogs in the machine. It was inevitable though, as after a peak in emotions all that remains is an empty pit to fill. Most people turned to filling that pit with the burden of working to supply the Capitol with the materials to rebuild itself. It was ironic, you thought. As the rest of Panem dutifully provided the Capitol with the materials they demanded, the districts were just barely recovering from the aftermath of war themselves.

You decided to keep yourself busy and absorb yourself in your work, just like the rest of the district. The day was coming to a close, with the sky gradually adopting shades of apricot and saffron.

Something just didn't feel right though. Mentally recalling your actions, you double checked you hadn't forgotten any of your tasks today.

Created a new wood piece? Done hours ago.

Organised the display of the workshop? Already completed.

Tidied your room? Yes, that was the root of your worries surely? However, no sense of relief washed over you and you knew you hadn't hit the nail on the head.

"Kiddo, you alright over there?" Your father says, noticing how you seem to be deep in thought.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine Dad." You reassure him, not wanting to cause him to worry, "I just feel like I'm forgetting something. Today just feels... strange."

Your conversation with your father is cut short at the ring of the bell. A customer had come in at this hour? The workshop was going to close momentarily, retiring for the day. You found yourself wishing whoever had just come in would pay their next visit at a more convenient time. Preferably earlier in the day, when you weren't fatigued from working in the shop. Honestly, did people not check opening and closing times now??

Turning to acknowledge their presence, your breath hitches in your throat. It registers in your head instantly. You hadn't seen Treech at all today. That's why today had felt so peculiar, because he wasn't there.

A smile blooms on your face, and you think, perhaps you could make an exception for his tardiness just this once.

"Hey!! I haven't seen you all d-"

Treech cuts you off, his lips desperately finding yours within moments. Utterly lost in the moment, his hands lace around your waist.

Parting from him, his eyes remain locked on your face when the sound of someone clearing their throat echoes around the room. Only now did you remember that your father was still in the same room as you two. It seems Treech hadn't considered this either. It was evident with how he so obviously avoided eye contact with your father, who just chuckled in response.

"Ah, sorry sir." Treech laughs along, apologising sheepishly for his impetuous actions. His hand rubs the nape of his neck in embarrassment, but your father only finds the situation amusing.