#15 - THE GREATEST PRIZE

"Tell me everything

"Tell me everything." You said, looking at him intently.

Treech laughed, throwing his head back and letting the sunset bathe his face for the first time in a while.

After dropping Ivy off at home, he had whisked you away from everything. That was how the two of you had ended up down at the river. Just two teenagers in love, basking in the presence of nature.

"Everything? Didn't think you cared about the Capitol that much, darlin'."

"I don't, isn't that funny? But I care about you, and I want to know everything you've been through."

You only whispered that last part but from the way Treech looked at you, he had heard it all. He only sent you another one of his sweet smiles, laced with a hint of pain. Perhaps it wasn't the right time for this.

Treech was strong, one of the strongest people you knew. However after what he had experienced, that would have been enough to shatter anyone.

"Actually, forget that. I have something for you." You said, shifting the topic.

"Oh really?"

You happily responded with a nod, before taking out his hat. Treech's eyes lit up, as if he'd completely forgotten about it. Placing the hat on his head, it seemed as if nothing changed between you two. His hat sheltered his curls from the gaze of the sun. Oh how you had missed him.

It seemed as if the Games never happened, as if Treech was still the same boy who wandered into your father's workshop on that fateful day.

"I kept my promise to return it to you."

"I was beginning to think you had forgotten."

Treech joked, but he truly was grateful. If there was anyone on this earth who would be able to bring him back to his senses, it was you.

Upon returning, he was granted wealth and was now successful in the eyes of the Capitol. Successful in the sense that he had lived up to their expectations of being another brutal killer from the districts. That didn't matter now. He had the rest of his life to spend with you, and that was his greatest prize.

"What have you been up to while I was away? I've heard from Ivy that you're fun to spend time with. She said she hopes that we'll get married so she can spend time with you everyday, you know."

Treech changed the topic back to you and his expression completely melted into a look of adoration. Here you were in front of him, as beautiful as ever. You were all his and he was unequivocally yours.

"Well I hope us two will get married so I can see her everyday too!"

"What about me, hm?" Treech teases, feinting a look of hurt.

"I wouldn't mind having you next to me everyday, I suppose."

You laughed, and he joined in. The both of you still had your lives ahead of you, but here you were talking about the future as if you had a clue.