#12 - WHERE YOUR LOYALTIES LIE

Treech was awoken by the sound of Lucy Gray, panicking as her district partner towered over her on a beam high up in the air

Treech was awoken by the sound of Lucy Gray, panicking as her district partner towered over her on a beam high up in the air. Looking over at the rest of the pack, they still seemed to be sleeping.

As he inspected closer, a white foam rushed out of Jessup's mouth and he knew.

Rabies. Barely curable in the Capitol, and a death sentence in the districts.

Suddenly, a drone carrying a bottle of water aims for Jessup, condemning him to death as he lost his balance. Within a moment, Lucy Gray dismounts the beam and urges him to sleep, sending him off peacefully.

Treech watched in pity. He hadn't really thought about it, but everyone in the arena was just a kid. They were all human, but the Capitol refused to believe that.

Another dark thought rose to Treech's mind. Lucy Gray had no protector, no weapon. Coral's group could kill her right now when she was so defenceless.

Shit. What were these games doing to him?

He quickly erased the thoughts from his head. She was mourning her district partner. The least he could do was let her say goodbye. Seeing her grieve him like that made him think of Lamina, still perched on her beam in the arena. Would she hate him, for abandoning her? He never had a choice. If he defied Coral, then he was sure he would have been dead right now. Just another name on the list of those killed at the hands of the Capitol.

"Let's catch ourselves a songbird." Coral says menacingly as she rises up from behind him.

With no other choice, Treech nods. Would you hate him after what he's become: a catalyst to some poor tribute's death?

The pack rushes out, with Coral going straight for the kill. Lucy Gray takes flight, attempting to reclaim her freedom. There was nowhere to go in the arena. She was done, cornered. As she tried to escape, Treech slid in, blocking her exit.

"Stay right there." He threatens, his axe held out and pointing to her.

After Lucy Gray sent a stone in his direction, he dared to laugh at her pathetic line of defence.

"Hey Coral, mind if I take this one?"

"Not a chance."

And with that, chaos ensues. Not for Lucy Gray, but the pack. Drones carrying numerous water bottles storm in, and the girl with the rainbow dress disappears once again.

As the dust fails to settle, blocking Treech's vision, he doesn't know why but he runs. Away from the pack and in Lamina's direction.

"Lamina!"

Treech called out blindly, as he began to approach a set of beams.

"We have to run! Coral's pack, they're going to kill you. They're going to kill me."

Looking back, the dust around Coral's group still hasn't settled. Time was running short, and if he didn't run away now there was no doubt Coral would pierce that trident in his neck.