#16 - ALT ENDING: IF ONLY

What you noticed first was Treech's blank stare amidst the darkness

What you noticed first was Treech's blank stare amidst the darkness. He looked at you, but not in the way he had before.

Before, his eyes somehow twinkled more upon seeing you. If someone had seen the way he looked at you before the Reaping, before everything, they would instantly know he was in love with you. They would know every part of his being was utterly infatuated with you. The whole world would know soon enough, because the first thing he would talk about in his interview at the Capitol was you.

If he died at the hands of the Capitol, he would make sure they knew who he was. Names were easily forgettable, but stories were not. Lucky for you, you were always his favourite person to talk about.

After the games, Treech changed. He wasn't that same sweet lumberjack whose highlight of the day was talking to you. Those lights in his eyes you admired? Gone. He zoned out often as if part of him was still there, in that arena. Truthfully, you didn't think he had really left it.

"Treech?"

You had whispered out his name, accidentally startling him. When you met his eyes, he didn't stare at you with his usual charming expression. No, he looked at you as if you were a threat.

"I'm not going to hurt you." You assured him, slowly reaching out to him.

"Don't touch me." He had said coldly.

You paused, your breath hitching. Slowly, you retracted your hand back. You wouldn't give up on him, you promised yourself. All he needed was time. Now he had all the time in the world, didn't he?

"What? Treech, I don't think you understand. I said I'm not going to-"

"Get away! I'll just end up hurting you!"

Treech cried out defensively. In that moment you swore you saw a glimpse of him beneath that hardened exterior. There was a part of him, albeit broken, that was still there longing for closeness.

It wasn't right, but you grabbed his wrist. He had always been honest about his feelings with you. Wasn't it fair you did the same?

Please, you thought, stay with me Treech.

Once you grasped onto him, the darkness enveloped you once again.