five

"i get why shua's here since he's hannie's right hand man but what are you doing here?"

"i live in town," minghao stated, draping his scarf around his neck. "and besides, i'm not missing his royal highness's first day out in years."

jeonghan smiled as the two of them bickered while joshua asked mingyu questions (or perhaps he was threatening the boy -- jeonghan couldn't hear what they were speaking about). in order to properly blend in with the commonfolk, jeonghan decided that it'll be best to go to town on foot, the cold night air blowing his hood off.

"careful with that your highness," minghao said, hurriedly fixing the hood and locking it in place with a pin. "the people aren't all too fond of royalty these days." although he had said it lightly, jeonghan knew just what repurcussions he'd meet if he were to be discovered in town.

"we're almost there your highness!" jeonghan nodded, seeing the faint glow of lanterns in the near distance. before they stepped foot into town, mingyu stopped abruptly, turning around with utmost importance. "your highness, i don't mean to sound rude but could you please wear this?" mingyu handed him a tattered scarf, minghao eyeing the scarf as though it had stolen his life's worth.

"why does he have to-" jeonghan raised a hand, chan quieting down and stepping back, allowing the commoner to continue wrapping it around jeonghan. "hannie, if you see anything suspicious-"

"i'll alert you right away," jeonghan completed his sentence for him, knowing full well what he would say next after years of knowing the all too loyal boy.

the first thing that greeted them was the sound of guitars playing followed by footsteps against stone floors. mingyu beamed, immediately realising what it was as he hurriedly led the group to the centre where a group of performers had just started their dance routine, a crowd slowly gathering around them and clapping along to the beat.

a few familiar faces made jeonghan pull the scarf tighter, trying his best to avoid eye contact with the performers that he hadn't been able to appease.

when the performance was in full swing, jeonghan snuck a glance at his companions, noticing how they were all enamoured by the dances and songs before them. not wanting to disturb them, jeonghan quietly snuck away to explore on his own.

he took note of the different stalls, the people manning them all trying their best to promote their items. people walked past him indifferently, chattering about mundanities that jeonghan wished he could spare a thought for. and, as the music slowly faded, jeonghan found himself in the middle of a field he had last seen years ago.

there wasn't anything spectacular about the field -- it was just grass that had patches of wildflowers scattered haphazardly. but jeonghan couldn't help but recall two little boys, hands interlaced as they slept atop those wildflowers underneath the comforting gaze of the sun, dreaming about a future that now seemed so out of reach.

whether or not it was those memories or a subconscious habit kicking in, jeonghan found himself sitting on the grass. by then, he couldn't hear the music at all, the only sound he could hear being his own breathing.

for a moment, a wave of sadness hit him, nostalgia creeping up and reminding him of a time that felt so far removed. but, just as he felt himself succumbing to the peace brought about by those memories, he felt a shift in the wind, the blades of grass that were previously dancing around standing completely still.

"i always knew you'd come back here." jeonghan froze, his hands glowing faintly as the familiar voice spoke. "this was our place after all wasn't it?" the prince closed his eyes, trying his best to block out the voice that kept haunting him.