Chapter 7

Zhang was interested in the Eastern Palace guard.

Wu Qi, with a swollen face, sat on the bed, looking resentfully at Gu Lang. "Brother Gu, you were too harsh."

Gu Lang lay on the opposite bed, responding coldly, "You couldn't be woken up."

Earlier, Gu Lang tried to wake Wu Qi, who was lying on him, but despite calling out several times, Wu Qi showed no sign of waking. He tried to push him away, but the more he pushed, the tighter Wu Qi hugged him, murmuring incoherently. As he spoke, his hand slid under Gu Lang's clothes, touching his warm waist.

Gu Lang shivered and then threw a punch.

And that's how Wu Qi's face got swollen.

"I rarely dream of beauties," Wu Qi argued, "how could I willingly wake up? You could be more understanding."

Gu Lang retorted, "You dreamed of one just last night. How is that rare?"

"The person in my heart, naturally, I think of all the time," Wu Qi said, looking at the exposed part of his neck outside the blanket. "I can only see him in my dreams at night, naturally, I can't get enough. Brother Gu, do you have someone in your heart?"

Gu Lang remained silent. The oil lamp on the table burned brightly, and Wu Qi thought he wouldn't answer, but then he heard him say, "No."

"No."

Wu Qi lowered his eyes, covering the scar on his abdomen through his clothes, "It's better not to have someone to think about." He turned off the lamp, and in the darkness, he softly said, "Let's sleep early."

*
The night was hazy as Gao Cheng staggered out of the tavern. Reeking of alcohol and face flushed, he had only walked a few steps before rushing to a corner to vomit.

"Cough cough…" As he continued, two people passed by, whispering.

One asked, "When will the Crown Prince marry our young lady?"

The other replied, "It should be soon. The household is preparing the dowry."

"Once our young lady becomes the Crown Princess, our lord will be the Crown Prince's father-in-law. What's there to fear from the people of Bei Qi?"

"Exactly, those people from Bei Qi were so arrogant yesterday, they didn't take our residence seriously at all, wanting to search people directly!"

"Fortunately, our lord had them hide in advance, or who knows what could have happened."

"Indeed, those people from Bei Qi are shameless…"

As the two slowly walked away, disappearing into the night, Gao Cheng leaned against the wall, sneering, "Xu Zhiyan, you're quite bold…"

The Prime Minister, Xu Zhiyan, had discussed with Gao Cheng about marrying his daughter to the Crown Prince, aiming to better control the Crown Prince and the court of Dayan. Gao Cheng had no suspicions then, letting Xu Zhiyan send memorials to the emperor, stating the Crown Prince was of age but still unwed, which was against tradition. And with the Prime Minister's daughter being graceful and intelligent, she was deemed a good match for the Crown Prince. Although the emperor had no reaction after the memorials were sent, the news spread, and more memorials followed.

"In a month," Xu Zhiyan had said to Gao Cheng, "the emperor will surely agree."

But now, thinking it over, if Xu Zhiyan harbored ulterior motives, he might use this to climb into the royal family of Dayan and turn against Bei Qi.

"Wishful thinking!" Gao Cheng kicked the corner of the wall hard. "Been living peacefully for too long, forgot your place, huh?! Nonsense!" He got so worked up that he vomited again.

In the distance, at the street corner, the two whispering individuals were now standing before Sun Fang, bowing and smiling, "Second boss, it's all taken care of."

Sun Fang nodded, then said, "Spread a rumor tomorrow. Remember, keep it clean."

"Yes, second boss, please instruct."

"Say, the Crown Prince has a preference for men…"

*
The next day, the rumor spread far and wide.

After dinner, Gu Lang returned to his room to find Wu Qi there.

"Did you hear?" Wu Qi asked him, sitting on the bed.

Gu Lang asked, "About what?"

Wu Qi whispered, "It's said that the Crown Prince prefers the company of men."

Gu Lang replied, "...I heard." What does it have to do with me?

Wu Qi continued, "I also heard that he's taken a liking to a guard here in the Eastern Palace."

Gu Lang was silent; this, "I hadn't heard that."