Chapter 65

Ruan Nian looked at the motionless ceiling, feeling awkward. "I thought someone was..."

Qu Fengyun remained silent.

Oh no, did the previous incident leave a lasting impression?

The ambiguous atmosphere between them dissipated suddenly. Ruan Nian hastily stood up, saying, "I... I have something to do, need to go out for a while, I'll leave first."

Qu Fengyun asked, "Where are you going?"

"Prime Minister Xu has been having headaches these days," Ruan Nian explained. "My master asked me to check on him today."

Qu Fengyun stood up and said, "I'll come with you."

Ruan Nian exclaimed, "Ah?"

Qu Fengyun questioned, "Is that not okay?"

"Not that..." Ruan Nian muttered, "But you don't know anything about medical matters, what would you do there?"

Qu Fengyun didn't respond, drank the chicken soup on the table in one go, and then pulled Ruan Nian along.

After Murong Yan and Gu Lang left the prison, the guard at the door changed again, with Wu Liu now on duty. Previously assigned by Murong Yan to guard the prison, Wu Liu was instructed to keep a close eye on Zheng Yufe. Hence, every time he was on duty, he would specifically check on Zheng Yufe to prevent any escapes or mishaps.

Today, Wu Liu opened the door as usual to check on Zheng Yufe and found him lying on the ground, bruised and groaning in pain.

Not knowing what had happened, Wu Liu hurriedly ran to the Eastern Palace to inform the Crown Prince.

The Crown Prince was in his study, the door closed. When informed that Wu Liu had something to report, the Crown Prince responded with a word and, after a while, opened the door.

Gu Lang opened the door and stood aside, not looking at Wu Liu.

Yet Wu Liu couldn't shake the feeling that his face... seemed a bit flushed.

The Crown Prince sat behind the desk and asked, "What's the matter?"

Wu Liu said, "Your Highness, Zheng Yufe has been beaten! He's badly bruised!"

The Crown Prince glanced at Gu Lang, who still avoided eye contact, and asked again, "Is he dead?"

Wu Liu replied, "...No, he's just severely swollen."

The Crown Prince said, "Then there's no need to bother with him, just make sure he doesn't die."

Wu Liu inquired, "Should we investigate who did this?"

"No need," the Crown Prince said, "Perhaps he committed too many wrongs, and even the gods couldn't stand it, so they came down to earth to beat him up."

Wu Liu thought for a moment and said, "..."

"You can go back now," the Crown Prince said, "Continue your guard duty."

"Understood!" Wu Liu left, but as he walked away, Murong Yan covered his face and said to Gu Lang, "Close the door."

Gu Lang didn't move. "No need to close it. You have paperwork to attend to..."

"Who said I have to handle paperwork?" Murong Yan interrupted. "I want to ask the gods whether we should also beat up Lu Pingshan."

Gu Lang replied, "..."

Murong Yan walked over and closed the door, then hugged Gu Lang. "If you're still angry, we can beat him a couple more times."

Gu Lang hesitated and said, "I won't. My hand hurts."