Chapter 72

In the courtyard, the morning sunlight adorned the ground. With his chin resting on Murong Yan's shoulder, Gu Lang softly said, "But they will insult you..."

"Don't mind," Murong Yan replied, "When I sought enlightenment in the Eastern Palace before, they didn't hesitate to insult me... How can I let their words dictate my actions? What about the dignity of the Crown Prince?"

He released Gu Lang, taking his hand, and said, "The ceremony is necessary. Today may be simple, but in a few days, I'll make it more festive for you, alright?"

Gu Lang looked at him, a smile playing on his lips, and slowly lowered his head.

They bowed to each other in the bright morning light, their long hair interweaving.

May this life be spent together until old age, never abandoning each other in life and death.

After the resolution of the old Gu family case and Zheng Yufei's confession, pointing out Lü Pingshan's involvement, the old Emperor spared him from death but chose exile. Lü Pingshan, conspiring with the Northern Qi, orchestrating plots against loyal subjects, met his end at noon with a beheading.

On the execution day, Murong Yan and Gu Lang stood in the crowd, watching Lü Pingshan on the execution platform, hysterically shouting, crying, and laughing.

"I'm not wrong! For oneself, heaven and earth will be condemned! What have I done wrong?!"

"And what about Nie Zhan? Invincible in a hundred battles? Ridiculous! Didn't he end up dying by my hands?"

"You will regret this! Don't think that raising a few soldiers can resist Northern Qi! The Northern border will fall sooner or later!"

"I want to witness your complete defeat, like dogs who've lost their homes..."

With a bang, the executioner tossed the sign, "Execute!"

Lü Pingshan laughed even more crazily, "You will all die! Everyone will die..."

A flash of the blade, red blood splattered the execution ground, and the cries abruptly stopped.

Gu Lang turned to Murong Yan and said, "Let's go."

Murong Yan nodded, holding his hand, and said, "Since there's nothing today, let's go check on Qu Fengyun."

Gu Lang looked at him, puzzled.

Murong Yan smiled, "Qin Si secretly passed me a message. Qu Fengyun summoned him, detained him at Physician Ruan's house, and refuses to release him."

Gu Lang: "...Does Qu Fengyun lack people that much?"

Qin Si squatted in the kitchen brewing medicine, his face covered in soot, sometimes coughing from the smoke. He looked pitiful.

Ruan Nian was outside the door changing the bandage on Qu Fengyun's hand.

"Much better," Ruan Nian carefully examined Qu Fengyun's right arm, pleased to see improvement.

Qu Fengyun said, "Then I won't take the tonic."

"Why?" Ruan Nian asked in surprise. "Don't you want to recover quickly?"

Looking at his soft, white face, Qu Fengyun said, "Can't sleep after taking it."

"Can't sleep?" Ruan Nian said, "Then I'll add some tranquilizing herbs for you?"

Qu Fengyun: "...No need."

Ruan Nian: "Why?"

"Who can't sleep?" Murong Yan entered with Gu Lang, smiling, "I have medicine here, very effective."