Chapter 57

Qu Fengyun and Mrs. Ruan couldn't find Ruan Nian when they left the temple.

Mrs. Ruan looked around and said, "The child might be off playing somewhere."

Qu Fengyun helped her sit in a pavilion outside the temple, thinking that Ruan Nian would probably come back soon.

"Daughter-in-law," Mrs. Ruan pointed to a path outside the pavilion, "go and shoo away that dog. Nian was chased by a dog when she was little and is scared of them now. Let's not frighten her when she returns."

Qu Fengyun chuckled at the thought of young Ruan Nian being chased by a dog, a mix of amusement and concern.

He thought, she won't have to be afraid anymore.

"Madam," the maid Xiaoyue approached with a food box.

They realized they forgot the pastries at the temple gate and sent Xiaoyue back to fetch them.

Xiaoyue, noticing Ruan Nian's absence, asked, "Where's the young master?"

"Don't know, probably off playing somewhere," Mrs. Ruan replied. "Let's wait for him here."

However, as they waited, there was still no sign of Ruan Nian.

Qu Fengyun frowned, sensing something amiss. Ruan Nian was always dutiful; she wouldn't disappear without a word.

Suddenly, he noticed a monk hurrying towards the back of the temple. Although dressed as a monk, the military-style boots he wore caught Qu Fengyun's attention.

His expression turned serious; he asked Xiaoyue to take care of Mrs. Ruan as he followed the monk.

Ruan Nian groggily opened her eyes, finding herself in a dimly lit room, hands and feet bound. Another girl, also bound, lay unconscious on the floor.

Crawling closer, Ruan Nian whispered, "Miss, miss..."

The girl remained motionless.

Ruan Nian lifted his foot to nudge her but hesitated, considering it inappropriate for a young lady.

With hands tied behind him, he awkwardly shuffled past the girl, attempting to nudge her.

Wei Qingtong stirred, slowly opening her eyes to see hands reaching towards her chest.

Wei Qingtong: "..."

"Ah!" Wei Qingtong kicked, attempting to strike Ruan Nian. "What are you doing?! Scoundrel!"

Startled, Ruan Nian didn't know what he touched. "Miss, you're awake?"

Wei Qingtong fiercely kicked again, "Shameless!"

"Miss," Ruan Nian scooted away, "what are you doing? Stay calm..."

Someone outside banged on the door, shouting, "Stop the noise, behave!"

Wei Qingtong paused, yelling at the door, "Who is it?! Come out!"

The voice outside threatened, "Behave, unless you want trouble!"

"Miss," Ruan Nian whispered, "I recognize one of them. He's General Gao Cheng from North Qi."

"Gao Cheng?" Wei Qingtong frowned. "Wasn't he sent back to North Qi by my father?"

Ruan Nian shook his head, "But I saw him."

Wei Qingtong scrutinized Ruan Nian, "Who are you?"

Ruan Nian, looking at her hostile expression, replied, "And who is the miss?"

"I'm not telling you then."

"You..." Wei Qingtong was furious, unable to reach anyone, "Fine, if you don't want to talk, nobody cares!"

She carefully surveyed her surroundings, realizing it was a cluttered utility room filled with various items, and the windows were sealed shut.

"Scoundrels! I won't let you off when I get out!" She struggled against the tightly bound ropes, making her wrists red.

Ruan Nian, feeling sympathy, advised, "Miss, don't worry, someone will come to rescue us."

Wei Qingtong doubted, continuing to struggle with the ropes, "Who would know we're stuck here?"

"A Ying knows," Ruan Nian said, "he'll come for me."

Wei Qingtong: "...A Ying? Is that a person's name?"

---

Murong Yan led Gu Lang back to the Shanheng Gambling House, claiming to visit their son, daughter-in-law, and grandson.

Gu Lang: "..." You said it was about feeding fish.

However, as they reached the fish pond, Sun Fang hurriedly approached, "Master, Lu Pingshan sneaked out of the city."

After Zheng Yufei's release, Lu Pingshan had been confined to the Lu residence by the old emperor, supposedly for recuperation. Lu Pingshan still had many loyal followers in the court, and with just the testimony of a Nei Fu steward missing for over a decade, they couldn't solidify the charges of treason and conspiracy against Lu Pingshan.

Murong Yan was waiting for Zheng Yufei to speak.

Zheng Yufei was the undeniable evidence against Lu Pingshan.

"It seems he couldn't wait," Murong Yan remarked, "he's in a hurry to join North Qi."

Sun Fang sneered, "Disgraceful!"

Murong Yan said, "Summon a few men, let's bring him back."

Sun Fang nodded and went to gather people.

Gu Lang said, "I'll go too."

Murong Yan looked at him, taking his hand, "Good, let's go together."

Lu Pingshan sat in a carriage, swaying towards the north.

Over a dozen guards rode alongside the carriage.

Suddenly, trees on both sides of the road rustled, and a dozen figures swiftly descended, blocking the way.

The coachman halted, revealing the person guiding the carriage, the one who had deceived Wei Qingtong in the alley.

"Lu Lin," Lu Pingshan asked from inside the carriage, "What's the matter?"

"Master Lu," Murong Yan strolled over, asking, "Where are you heading?"

Lu Pingshan remained composed, pulling aside the carriage curtain. He expected the Crown Prince wouldn't easily let him go, but with Wei Qingtong in Gao Cheng's hands, even the Crown Prince had to consider Wei Yong's daughter.

"Your Highness," Lu Pingshan smiled, "I, an old subject, have nothing to do and wanted to take a stroll outside the city."

Murong Yan also smiled, "I happen to have nothing to do as well, how about we go together?"

Lu Pingshan stroked his beard, about to mention Wei Qingtong, when Gu Lang suddenly unsheathed his sword and attacked.

Lu Lin, the Lu residence guards, hurriedly shielded Lu Pingshan.

Lu Pingshan: "..." I haven't finished speaking.

Sun Fang, holding a sword, commented, "The Crown Princess is truly impatient."

Murong Yan kicked him, "Go help!"

The two sides instantly engaged in a fight.

The people from the Crown Prince were unexpectedly skilled, fighting fiercely. In no time, all of Lu residence's guards were lying on the ground, moaning in pain. Only Lu Lin gritted his teeth, guarding the carriage.

Lu Lin wasn't proficient in martial arts, but he excelled in spreading powders. Seeing Murong Yan approaching, he took out a packet of powder and scattered it.

Murong Yan waved his sleeve, blocking the powder, and kicked Lu Lin away.

"Murong!" Gu Lang's heart clenched, rushing over anxiously, "Are you alright?"

Murong Yan paused, suddenly hugging him, rubbing against his neck, and said, "I feel hot, that powder... seems to be an aphrodisiac."

Gu Lang: "..."