Chapter 5: The Day Things Changed

After that day, I began living with Artoria and her adopted family. 

"Officially", I was the son of one of Sir Ector's friends from his days as a knight, and I was living with the family until my father returned from war. (A pretty basic backstory if you asked me, but nobody in the small village questioned it as it had become a rather common tale as of late.)

Surprisingly, Sir Ector wasn't all that annoyed at the prospect of having to look after another person, and while he was strict, stubborn, and excepted me to pull my own weight around the house, he was reasonable in what he assigned me to do.

My main responsibilities included cooking all of the family's meals, doing chores around the house, and helping Sir Ector in the forge as an assistant blacksmith since I was completely immune to fire and heat. 

(Plus it turned out to be a good thing that I had binged all 10 seasons of Forged in Fire in my previous life since it was really coming in handy now!)

Every morning I'd wake up early to make everyone their breakfasts, and then move on to doing chores around the house with Artoria; doing basics things like chopping firewood, feeding the horses etc.

Surprising, despite being a pretty heavy sleeper, mornings actually became my favorite time of the day as I could pass the time by telling Artoria stories of other lands and other cultures.

She always listened with undivided attention as I told her tales from other countries; about all the mischief the gods of other lands would get up to, and about the heroes from all across the globe who went on all these amazing adventures 

Artoria always loved listening the stories, and despite trying her best to hide it, I could tell she especially enjoyed hearing about female heroes and gods, such as Scáthach, the Queen of the Land of Shadows, or Sekhmet, the Egyptian God of War. (And don't even get me started about the time I told Artoria the story of Mulan.)

After breakfast, Artoria and Kay would go do Knightly things around the territory, while I would work in the forge with Sir Ector. After the two returned with the day's hunt in the evening, it was time for our lessons with Merlin.

Occasionally the lessons would included sword practice, and Merlin, (despite a dirty, rotten, no-good cheater who blasted people with magic during a duel), turned out to be just as good with a sword as he was with magic.

"Oh come on!" I yelled, spitting out some of the flower petals that had gone into my mouth again. "Damn it Merlin, will you stop using that stupid move already! You promised you wouldn't use magic this time!"

"Maybe I'll stop once it stops being so funny!" Merlin laughed loudly with no shame whatsoever.