Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Truth or Dare with THE BOYS

Only Heleakala and I were suspended. Vali got off the hook because he didn't actually fight—he was only running away. So pretty much he didn't get in trouble because he was a little bitch.

I swear, why does every bad thing always have to involve my brother?

Vali and I got home from school, worried about how our parents would react to my suspension.

The person who greeted us when we opened the door was my dad.

He had a massive grin on his face. "I heard you got into a fight. Did you win?"

"Heleakala and I had to stand up for him," I said.

"That's my boy!" he clapped my back. "I remember highschool like it was yesterday. Another guy was super into your mom. So you know how we settled it? A good ol' brawl... Well, we were about to, but your mother got fed up and beat us both up for being stupid instead."

"But you won the real war because Mom chose you?" Vali wondered.

"Yep," Dad said proudly. "That's because I hit her back because I yearn for gender equality."

"Now that's some crazy dad lore," I grinned. "Can you tell us more?"

He smiled enigmatically. "If I told you everything now, it wouldn't be interesting, right? You have to discover it piece by piece until you form a masterpiece of a story, like that one game that's like Demon's Souls but new... Um, what do you call it?"

"Elden Ring?"

"Yeah, that one. You'll get that insane lore from me."

"Dad, have I ever said that you're a real one?"

"I don't know what that means, but I guess so." He clapped my shoulder. "I'm proud of you, son."

"What about me?" Vali said.

My dad glanced at Vali. "You need to learn to defend yourself. You can't just take that beating."

"I don't really want to fight..."

"But I am proud that you have three girlfriends," Dad said with teary-eyes. "I thought it wasn't possible because I have the Side Character gene."

"Oh, you gotta be fucking kidding me," I muttered.

"What does that mean?"

"It means that I was the Side Character. But your mom? She had the Main Character gene. I'm glad one of you inherited it."

"You seriously can't give credit to some made up gene."

"I almost went insane when I didn't, Y/N," my dad explained. "Imagine that the only reason you're so unlucky is because the universe hates you, that fate always makes you be on the sidelines. I can't take that. I have to believe something. Something logical. Not fate or destiny or whatever you want to call it. I like to think it as being biological."

"Uh, Dad, why are we being all philosophical?" I grumbled.

According to my dad, I inherited the Side Character role from him... Go figure.

So was it like Boruto where Vali inherited the Main Character role from our mom? Is that why she's so scary?

"I hae no idea what you two are talking about," Vali, on the other hand, looked completely confused.

I glared at him.

***

We said hello to my mom, who wasn't mad at us at all. She gave me a look of fire, saying things like, "No son of mine will be beat up by a bunch of twerps!"