Chapter 8

Woodsboro, California 28 September 1996

The ambulance and police only arrived almost 3 hours after the incident the boy had stopped bleeding they assumed it was because their wounds weren't that bad. Serena still hadn't woken up but Stu kept holding her rocking lightly not knowing what to do. "What if I shot her in the wrong place? What if she doesn't make it?" He was asking Billy his voice was a bit slurred from the blood loss but nothing serious Billy was a bit queasy -let's just say his sister is surpsingly good with a knife. Billy wanted to answer and was worried about his sister but he refused to let those things run in his head because what if Stu was right and she didn't make it, would Billy blame himself, would he be able to survive without her.

The paramedics ran in to the house after the police came storming in seeing that Neil had a gun in his hand and a shot to the side of his head they cleared it as a suicide. Dewey had been rolled away, he had woken up he started asking about Gale and if there were any other survivors. Serena had been taken away pressure was being put on her wounds to stop the bleeding, she still hadn't gain consciousness Stu and Billy were able to walk. Randy was rolled out and declared with a bullet in his lung, but he didn't make it he'd choked on his own blood before the ambulance reached the hospital everyone else was taken out in body bags. Billy and Serena shared an ambulance he didn't need to be in a separate one because he was still able to walk and move around. Stu got stuck in the same ambulance as Dewey "You made it. How's Gale?" Dewey said to Stu as he tried to sit up but the paramedic pushed him back down urging him and saying it would be better if he didn't move to much. Stu looked at Dewey wondering how he had made it but it didn't bother him because he'd only seen the ghostface mask, "She was shot." Stu said while he twiddled with his fingers to make himself look sad and confused as why this was all happening.

Stu was unsteady on his feet but he'd still managed to get in and out of the ambulance by himself, Billy had gotten out of the ambulance he and Stu were sat on hospital beds so that their cuts could be cleaned and checked. Both boys needed stitches they didn't seem worried about anything that was until doctors, paramedics and nurses came running in from outside speaking loudly, words overlapping about how bad Serena was and how she needed to be taken to surgery immediately to get the bullet removed. One of the bullets didn't go all the way through, the one in the stomach didn't go through causing the bleeding to be worse and infection could be spreading. Stu felt instant guilt when he heard what all the doctors were saying about the young girl who layed still on the stretcher, she was in critical condition and probably wouldn't make it but Stu and Billy now had to go into surgery for their own wounds.

Serena had a long operation to stop internal bleeding and to try help remove the bullet lodged inside of her stomach. She had flat lined twice but doctors were able to make her stable again, the boys had finished their surgeries nothing worse other than a few stitches doctors called them lucky. Dewey was stitched up and sustained nerve damage he wouldn't be able to walk properly he'd have a permanent limp Stu didn't listen to the doctor when she told him to stay I his room so that they could keep an eye on him. He went straight into Srenas room, she was still sleeping but he could see the stitches on her leg and the bandages around her stomach, Stu felt a need to hug her and apologize but he couldn't he couldn't even look at her without knowing he did wrong and he hurt her -almost killing her- he was holding her halnd when Billy came into the room.

"How is she?" Billy looked at Serena hoping for good news but not expecting a good answer, just after he asked a doctor came up behind him startling him "She is in critical condition. We had to put her in medical a coma so that her body can heal." He said when he'd finally entered the room Dr. Louis was checking her vitals and writing on a piece of paper. Billy and Stu were both stunned by the word 'critical' she could die and they wouldn't be able to apologize or celebrate their victory, stu felt tears I his eyes but refused to cry he blinked the tears away and kissed Serenas hand while shaking his head repeating to himself that it was all his fault. The doctor walked out bidding the boys a good day, after a couple of minutes a nurse came by the boys rooms looking for them but once she couldn't find them she went straight to Serenas room hoping they'd be there and sure enough they were both of the boys were passed out Billy on the couch and Stu in a chair still holding Serenas hand. It wasn't surprising that both the boys had been asleep they had had a long night and it wad around half past five in the morning. The nurse knocked on the door waking the boys up, "You've been discharged, you're free to go home." She said giving them a small smile and walking out of the room Billy had to call his father to come and fetch them -he did.

Hank had taken 20 minutes to get to the hospital by then it was pouring both boys ran to the car and climbed in trying not to get soaking wet. "Where is Serena?" Hank said as he pulled away from the hospital, "She is in a coma, critical condition." Billy responded looking down, his heart was broken but he didn't feel bad or even want to cry.

"She might not make it." Stu added and the rest of the ride had fallen silent...

4 March 2024