起きろ - wake up

Luffy woke up at the sound of birds singing. He slightly opened his eyes to see Airi still asleep on the mattress in Chopper's office, the machine was still beeping normally, and the girl's chest was lifting up and down with each breath she was taking, which caused Luffy to let out a sight of relief. He had fell asleep on the floor next to her, still holding her hand, not letting go even in his sleep. He yawned, feeling tiredness numbing his body. Luffy looked at Airi that seemed peacefully asleep. He allowed his lips to curl into a small reassured smile.

The boy shifted to a more comfortable position and allowed his head to lay down on Airi's shoulder. As he was now so close to her, all he could think about was how the girl had always been by his side, his mind began to wander over some memories from his childhood.

Luffy's flashback; ten years ago, Dawn Island, near the Goa Kingdom

"Ace! Sabo! Join my crew!!" a young enthusiastic Luffy exclaimed.

"No way!!" both of his brothers replied in sync.

"You won't join my crew?!"

"I will!!" the three boys heard from behind.

They were at the bottom of the tree on which they had built their hidden place. The three of them turned around to be met with a young blonde girl, freckles covering her nose and a white bandanna tied around her arm, and a blonde tall man with glasses standing behind her, a heartwarming smile on his lips. She was grinning proudly. Sabo and Ace exchanged questioning looks, menacingly brandishing their weapons, ready to fight. But the seven years old Luffy ran up to girl with the biggest goofy smile on his lips, "Airi!! You found us!"

The little girl nodded with a soft smile, "Jin-san allowed me to visit you since we hadn't seen each others for so long! I can stay for a little while but we'll get back home before curfew."

Luffy was jumping around happily, "Airi!! I'm so happy that you're here!!"

Sabo and Ace watched the girl with unsure expressions, "Luffy, is that your girlfriend from Foosha Village?"

Luffy nodded with a grin as Airi's face turned red, which caused her godfather that was watching over her to burst into laughters. She immediately started agitating her hands in front of her, shaking her head, "N-not girlfriend!"

Sabo laughed, "Oh, right. Luffy definitely doesn't even know what that means."

Ace nodded amusingly at Sabo's statement before turning back to the girl, furrowing his eyebrows, "What do you mean you will join Luffy's crew?"

Luffy let out an excited giggle, jumping on the girl's back, hugging her shoulders from behind, his legs wrapped around her waist, "Airi and I will be pirates together!!" he exclaimed. 

"You're heavy, Luffy, you're gonna crush me, get off!!" Airi cried dramatically, causing Luffy to laugh in amusement. 

Ace and Sabo looked at her in disbelief, "You- You really want this crybaby as your captain?!"

Airi laughed softly at the pouting expression that had just appeared on Luffy's face, "I trust Luffy. He will be the best captain."

A teething grin was now back on Luffy's lips, he jumped onto the girl as an attempt to give her a hug again, except that he proceeded to trip over the girl, dragging her along in his tumble. Ace and Sabo rolled their eyes and Jin chuckled at the scene.  Both Airi and Luffy rolled over the grass before crashing onto a tree. Luffy quickly sat up and looked at Airi laying next to him, "Oops, sorry, Airi."