A Fine Lord

She stood on a balcony, a Priestess in untainted and pure white above a great mass of Crimson Denizens. Each and everyone in that multitude was kneeling, praying and wishing for that which they unanimously wanted. The sky was dark above, with deep black clouds swirling.

A man completely clad in dark armor, with a helmet that covered his eyes, approached her from behind. In his hand was a broad-bladed halberd. His voice was deep and somewhat aged, and he spoke with a tone that showed held-back sorrow and reluctance.

"Priestess... it's time."

Episode 14: A Fine Lord

"Hecate-chan, would you like to help me with this cake?"

In the Sakai household, Chigusa peeked into the living room to invite the Priestess into helping her bake. She turned away from the TV and nodded at her with a small smile.

She turned to Yuji, who was slouched on his couch while watching TV with her, and spoke before standing.

"When it is done, would you like to try it?"

Yuji smiled. "Sure, I'll look forward to it," he replied.

The Priestess smiled happily and walked into the kitchen with his mother. Yuji spared a moment to follow her with his eyes. The once-cold Crimson Lord who had been feared by hundreds of friends and allies was starting to act more and more like a human girl. And it showed whenever she met a new experience that she found interesting.

Yet, sometimes, when she would have to perform some duty of hers, she would return to that cold, emotionless Priestess. Now that he thought about it, Yuji still had no idea what all of her duties were. In fact, he still barely knew anything about the girl. Although he was sure of two things: she is an important Crimson Lord and Priestess to the Denizens, and that she easily gets lonely.

Ages before that day, the Priestess once again looked over a balcony. She overlooked a city of stone, with hundreds of people in the many streets. The city was thriving and prosperous, she knew, as if it had been blessed by some sort of god.

"Priestess, our Lord wishes for your presence," a servant Rinne with its body hooded and cloaked said, and she turned and nodded with a blank expression, yet with a slight twinkling of eagerness in her eyes.

In the very center of the castle, orbiting a tall spire was a massive serpent. Its scales were completely black, and it seemed more dragon-like than a snake, although its face was more like the latter. Long spikes as large as pillars lined its spine.

Its attention was on a large bowl on the pinnacle of the tower it coiled without touching. That vessel contained a holographic projection of the city all around the castle. The Snake spoke his thoughts as if he was also smiling, could he have the ability to do so.

"It's been years since we created this city under our own law. I could get used to this idea of 'ruling'."

Walking up the spiraling steps in solemn reverence, yet with a hint of excitement in her quick pace, the Priestess approached her Commander. As she reached the summit beside the representation of the city, she bowed.

"You summoned me, my Lord Snake of the Festival?"

The Snake of the Festival acknowledged her presence and raised its head to peer over the high walls of the castle.

"Hecate," he said. His voice was deep and menacing, yet to the Priestess, there was also a kind tone. "Through many lifetimes have you stuck by me and your two peers."

The Priestess listened intently at his words.

"Yet, you have isolated yourself away from the world. At least for today, I ask of you to go out into the city and observe the many different existences that dwell here."