Where Fate Splits Apart

"So, Yuji Sakai, what will you do now?" the Thousand Changes pressed the Mystes who had stumbled to the floor.

The Mystes was overwhelmed, between being at the mercy of the Crimson Lord before him, Hecate's fate, and the acknowledgement that he is powerless to anything against either. He stammered as he tried to answer, but there was none.

Then, he and the Thousand Changes suddenly felt the tremendous presence of the crimson fire blazing in the distance. They were not the only ones to feel it either, besides the other two in the Trinity, as well as Margery Daw, even Keisaku and Eita could sense it through the bookmarks given to them by Marchosias, and the same could be said for Kazumi Yoshida, as she clutched a tiny object in her hands. And to each of them, different feelings sparked within, ranging from fear to anticipation.

Episode 21: Where Fate Splits Apart

"Did you feel that?" Yuji breathed out. Another Flame Haze? But that power, even Margery-san's presence wasn't that huge, even if hers is more refined, but this one's almost like Hecate's.

"I'm surprised you did too, but it's all the more reason we have to settle this very soon," Sydonay urged, knowing full well that their time here would be limited unless their plan was put to action as soon as possible. "Give me a solution to the problem you caused."

His attention brought back to the Thousand Changes, Yuji struggled to reply, and it came out simple.

"I don't know," Yuji said, looking away in shame.

"You don't know, huh?" the Thousand Changes shrugged. "Figures, well I'll tell you what you should do. Give me the Reiji Maigo, and forget about my Hecate. You go back to that ordinary life you used to lead until you eventually fade away and everyone forgets about you, especially Hecate, while over time she returns to the pure Priestess she is and needs to be."

"What?" the Mystes gasped, and for a moment his personal feelings and beliefs battled against his fear and hopelessness. "No, I can't do that. Even after what you said, I can't just forget her and leave her be."

The Crimson Lord grabbed him by the collar."You hypocrite! If you really meant that then you would have been with Hecate when she met up with us, and would not have been with some human girl."

"You mean... Yoshida-san?" Yuji said as he was gripping the Crimson Lord's arm, trying to pry himself loose, but the latter's grip was too strong and firm.

The Crimson Lord threw the boy down and continued angrily. "And even if you did mean that, what can you do, when not even a Crimson God can save her? Know your place, Torch."

The Thousand Changes took a step back as his hand transformed into the head of a red tiger. "It's too bad. For taking care of Hecate I would have let you live, but it looks like things ended up going the painful way."

From the tiger's maw he released a spray of hot flame. The Mystes, thanks to the Anti-Flame Ring Azure which hung from his neck, emerged unscathed as he quickly got up and backed away from the Thousand Changes, who merely raised an eyebrow at his survival.

"The kid gloves are coming off boy," he said as the tiger's head, along with his other arm, transformed into massive claws fit for a chimera.

Although terrified, the Mystes had just enough presence of mind to jump out of the way as the large but cumbersome extremity narrowly missed him. The Thousand Changes slashed with his other claw and Yuji desperately dove out of the way.

As the Mystes lay on the floor, the Crimson Lord advanced on him again. Adrenaline pumping like crazy, the young man reached his hand out and put Hecate's teaching to practice once more as he released a forceful pulse of Power of Existence.