Day of the Void

Dazzling purple lightning split the sky as a swordsman in Japanese garb cut a Crimson Denizen, as well as the gate behind him, in half. Charging in from behind, numerous other Flame Hazes stormed the city.

"Lend me your strength, Takemikazuchi," the swordsman said as he sheathed his blade temporarily.

"So long as your draw continues to be quick my friend," said the Crimson Lord to his contractor.

A girl with long blue hair flew overhead on bright wings of blue. The circlet on her brow shimmered gold like a golden halo.

Episode 15: Day of the Void

"These Flame Hazes are really becoming an annoyance," said a great green dragon with four large claws and two massive wings. "But they can never hope to get past us!"

As he tore up a female hammer-wielding Flame Haze in his teeth, the two sides battled around him. Blade clashed on blade, blood and fire spilled every which-way, and cries of war rang out along with screams of death. Wherever the dragon roamed, however, the Denizens felt more confident, and fought harder, as the massive creature tore apart everything that crossed his path, and squashed every Flame Haze he landed on after diving from above.

In the midst of the battle, caught between fire and sword, many humans ran for their lives. While few survivors had barely managed to escape, however, most were caught in the onslaught. Many humans would die, wherever they would be in that city. They were helpless little creatures trapped between two opposing powers. The buildings along the streets were engulfed in a sweeping blaze.

Suddenly, from above, many swarms of insects gathered in such great number that they seemed to come in a thick brown cloud. The swarms came closer, over the wall, and were shrouded in a flame in the color of red-earth. Atop the wall itself a girl stood with a knife in hand.

"They've noticed us, be careful," said her contractor, a female voice coming from the knife.

"Regardless of that, we have to keep the pressure on them, Valac. We can't afford to let them win," said the Flame Haze.

The millions of insects came upon the mass of Denizens, sweeping across the battlefield and not only stabbing with their body, but even drilling into their targets. At the same time that they neared, however, the winged dragon breathed dark grey smoke over his allies. When he did so, the bodies of the Denizens and Rinne hardened, as if the densities of their beings had vastly grown, so that no blade nor projectile may penetrate them easily. And when the swarms swooped in, they simply bounced off the hardened Denizens and Rinne harmlessly before collapsing on the ground.

"As long as the Iron-Clad Dragon Illuyanka is among us, nothing can penetrate our defense!" yelled one of the protected Denizens.

In the meantime, a gigantic centipede climbed up the wall and crushed a hapless Flame Haze with its body before impaling several others with its many long spear-like legs. With astonishing speed, it ploughed through the rest of the enemy forces that were on the battlements, and steadily made its way to the girl contracted to Valac.

"The Princess Who Loves Insects," it said. "If I destroy you, it would make quite the ironic end, would it not, President of Reptiles?"

"The Black-clothed Noble Oonamuchi, a Crimson Lord not to be taken lightly," said Valac. "Be wary Princess, and hold him off until reinforcements arrive."

The Flame Haze nodded, but made the first move anyway. She called several insects to her, concentrating the swarms together into single masses, and sent them at her foe like arrows. Oonamuchi flailed in the bombardment, breaking the swarms, although there was no need to as they could not penetrate its thick exoskeleton.