Chapter 5

Lazarus heard a knock on the door.

"Father, are you there?" a voice asked. Lazarus recognized it as Adam's, the only one who referred to him as father. It still felt strange to Lazarus, considering he was just a single man who had never experienced intimacy or had a girlfriend before.

"Yes, Adam, what is it?" Lazarus replied.

"May I come in?" Adam asked.

"Yes, you may come in" Lazarus said.

Adam entered the room and spoke with a bow, not showing his eyes, which seemed to be forming tears. "Father, I've noticed that something is bothering you. All the other gods have left for unknown reasons one by one, and you're the only one who remains. Are you planning on leaving too, father?"

Lazarus remained silent. He had logged in seeking a peaceful moment, contemplating leaving the game for good. He lacked the courage to admit that Adam might be right.

Adam's silence only deepened his concern. He spoke, his voice laden with sorrow.

"So, you are really leaving us, Father. I apologize for not being the good servant our lord wishes to keep. But please, listen to my desire, Father. If you want, you can take my life, just stay for a moment, and don't leave suddenly. I know they will be sad, but having a final moment to see you is enough. Sorry for this selfish desire," Adam said, tears streaming down his eyes.

Lazarus reached out, placing a reassuring hand on Adam's shoulder. "Adam, I'm not leaving right now. And the reason why my friends left is not your fault or that of any other NPC. You and the others are the prize of me and my friends, the result of countless adventures. I remember the time when DeadlyNoob and I were planning to form a guild, and it was one of the most cherished memories I hold."

"Adam, right now, we are facing a problem that could endanger everything that we, my friends, and I have built. I need your help, and the assistance of the other NPCs as well."

"Father, you don't need to ask. We will gladly lay down our lives to protect what you, DeadlyNoob, and the others have built. We assure you that we will use all the force of the Castle of Babel to defend it," Adam declared, his conviction clear.

"Adam, don't say such things. You're still my creation, and seeing you perish is the last thing I want to witness," Lazarus responded, his tone carrying a paternal concern.

Adam felt the warmth in his creator's voice, akin to a father embracing his son.

"As for the report and the pillars," Lazarus continued, "have there been any missing individuals? And regarding the pillars, they can use a portal this time. I permit you to use your power, Adam, as it is more efficient."

"Thank you, Father. I will make sure everything is in order. We won't let any harm come to what you cherish," Adam affirmed, bowing respectfully before leaving to carry out the orders.

"I need to get ready too," Lazarus said to himself, then grabbed the mask and wore it.

Continuing, he revealed a touch of vulnerability, "Ugh, I wish I don't mess things up. Seeing monsters in real life makes me want to pee, but I still need to act as they see me. I hope my friends programmed them to be loyal."

He reassured himself, "Good thing this goat mask is part of my character build. They won't be in shock seeing their lord wearing something like this," Lazarus mused, acknowledging the importance of maintaining an image that his followers were accustomed to.

[Teleportation to the throne]

Lazarus found himself in the transformed throne room.

"Ugh, I need to sit like a lord too. That would be badass," Lazarus said to himself, letting his inner child go wild. He took his seat, one hand on the throne's armrest, the other on his chin, giving himself a villainous appearance. The room's atmosphere, coupled with his commanding presence, created an aura that hinted at both power and mystery.